how do these shoot Hornady 270cal bullets 150gr SST for the 270AM

bigrich954rr

im thinking about using these to fire form my 270AM case. what load would be good to use to just fire form the cases min but still enough to get the case form and what would be max. if anyone has use these will they kind of hold up.

Re: how do these shoot Hornady 270cal bullets 150gr SST for the 270A

Just my $.02 worth, but if your gonna use up a round of barrel life to fire form your cases, why not shoot something that will take full advantage of the 270 AM. Rather than just shooting it to form the cases, I'd use the 169.5 Wildcats and use the fire form loads as a long range practice, hunting, varmint, rock busting round. That thing won't really start to run until you feed it what it was designed for.

Seems to me that a fairly light bullet would work just fine, but isn't that kind of like having a Ferrari and never running it over 60 mph.

The choice is up to you, but in my AM the fire form loads were Wildcats and they did a number on two big game animals. The heavy for caliber Wildcats in any of the AMs can't be beat at long range.

Lerch and Bill Bailey had great results in their 270 AMs using fire form rounds. In the end though, the choice is up to you.

Good luck with your new gun and I'm sure your going to have fun with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks i will be buy 169.5 Wildcats bullets but i have about 50 sst so i want to just use them up. off hand what the price on the wildcats?

You can check all of Richard's prices "Here at his web site".

Note that all prices are in Canadian dollars.

If you have any questions just drop Richard an e-mail. He's a great guy to deal with and his bullets are the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bigrich954rr,

I am getting to the point where, unless you are breaking in a barrel, I would recommend using the corn meal fireforming method. I have fine tuned this for several of my Allen Magnums and with the lack of barrel wear and minimal componant cost, it has major advantages over live fire fireforming loads.

That said, if you are doing a barrel break in you need the bullet obviously. The SSTs should work but they will be strained pretty severely by the 270 AM in the 1-8 twist barrels unless you keep velocities down a bit.

I generally like 90 to 93 gr of WC872 under a bullet of 140 to 169 gr for fireforming loads. Obviously this is not real specific, does not need to be. These loads are comfortable even with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT.

As ss7mm correctly stated, the 270 AM is generally very accurte and consistant, even at long range with fireforming load. So if you want to do some long range practice while breaking in the barrel or forming brass, there is nothing wrong with using the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs for these loads.

Also nothing wrong with using up your SSTs. Just remember the is a potential for bullet failure. Probably not at fireforming load velocities but if you put the throttle down there will be issues with bullet integrity.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.