Hornady SST Bullets

Canada

I changed to Horandy SST 180 gr bullets last year for my 300 win mag, the first shot is perfect, the problem is the remaining loaded cartridges in the magazine, they start to flatten out on the nose and become progressively worse, by the last one, (#3 in magazine) it is very deformed.
Has any one had a similar experience? I am currently working with Hornady, but they seem reluctant to help solve the problem.

Well, if you were shooting regular soft points, they would be a lot worse. Theres really no way around battered points in a magnum kicking rifle. Its just the way it is. Plastic tips help this a little, but still not foolproof. The best recomendation I can give you is to seat the bullet farther in the case. That would help a little, but then your OAL would change.

I have shot SST's ever since they came out. I have yet to see any difference in accuracy after having the tips mushed a little or even chipped.

You can reduce the OAL which will help alot.

However, just shoot them as is and see what effect it has. For very accurate hunting accuracy, it hasn't affected me yet.

Jerry

After I posted, I thought about that to Jerry. The smashed sierras, or even btips for that matter seem to have no difference in impact for me out to 800 yards. Really no need to worry about it. I was concerned about it at first, but confirmed my suspicions by busting milk jugs at 525 yards even with the badly smashed tips.

Canada,

I've had alot of the SST tips chip and break and some that appeared to be deformed. I don't think it's going to hurt your accuracy terribly much but, they are hard to look at.

I find the NBTs tips to be much more durable.

Good Luck

Reloader

HOLY COW! YOU MEAN THAT POINTS ACTUALLY FLATTEN OUT IN YOUR RIFLE???? WHY DO YOU THINK THAT THE REST OF US SHOOT SINGLE SHOTS?

Remember, it's the first shot that counts! When you practice just load one at a time. When you hunt the second and following shots are usually at moving game, you'er excited and the tiny difference, if any, is insignificant. BTW, what is the difference in group size of the 'bunged up'tips over pristine ones? capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Canada, hello from a fellow Canadian shooter. My experience with SST's involves my 7mm-08 with which the recoil is mild enough that it doesn't affect the tips. My other SST's are for my Savage model 16 in .270 WSM. Here the clip only allows two shells, again no problem. However, because my 7mm-08 is a Ruger Compact with a 16.5" barrel, I sacrifice substantial velocity. In order to compensate, I switched to Barnes Triple Shock "X" bullets, and instantly gained 200 fps by dropping 19 grains bullet weight. Take a look at the construction of this bullet on their website, it is basically a solid copper hollow point and may resolve your bullet end issues. Remember to drop 10 or 20 grains bullet weight when using these. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.