Hornady SST

mrfishnhunt

Does anyone use the Hornady SST in a .308 for long range shooting? I am just getting into shooting past 200 yards. I see that the BC of the SST in 150 gr. is .417. Will this be good for up to 400 yards? Thanks for the help.
Rob

Should have no problem with that range.I bought some 180 gr SSTs along with a variety of other 180s for a 300 SAUM project project that Kirby will be putting together.Cant wait to try it on some prarie dogs this spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FWIW, I have found the 175 smks and 178 amax outperform the ssts/nbts in my 300 RSAUMs. My newest adventure will be with the 185 gr Berger VLDs. . . . very promising . . .H4350 and 2920 fps. Its hot, but shoots great thus far.

I'll have to see how it goes with the 180s.Im having Kirby get a reamer that will be throated to allow the base of the 180 to seat level with the bottom of the neck,so the 175s and up will work out good too.I was hoping to get good results from the 180 Accubond (not for prarie dogs),as prarie dogs arent the main objective of this gun.

mrfishnhunt

I'm very new here, too, and also to the sport of long range shooting and hunting. I shoot the 150g SST's in my 308 and they are very accurate at my shooting range out to 500 yds (being a given that the conditions are right). They routinely clang the eight inch gong I have hanging out there. As far as hunting with them goes, I have never shot anything with them past about 200 yds and that was just a coyote. It did a number on that dog but a coyote is not much of a test for a hunting bullet. I think what the others are saying is that they would prefer a little heavier bullet to shoot out of their magnums. Try them out for yourself and if you like what you see, use 'em.

Post back and let me know of your results. Also, I would be interested to know of any terminal ballistics with this bullet. I have had poor luck in the past with polymer tipped bullets on big game but I won't pass judgement on the SST until until I have reason to. I doubt that I will have reason to, to be honest. I think the SST, the Accubond and the new Barnes MRX should produce much better terminal results than some of the plastic tipped fodder from the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.