How do I get talked into these things?

The Trinity Kid

Okay, here's the deal. A friend/coworker/fellow gun-nut recently got an itch to shoot out and touch things at 1000 yards. He has a safe full of guns (including my old .270), but he wants to build a long range plinker, and he wants someone to build it with him, which is where I come in.

So we've been going back and forth on what we want to do about it, and we've kind of settled on a couple pieces.

Savage action
Shilen Barrel
McMillan stock

That's about it.

(Here's where I point out that there is a 50-50 chance he will back out before this goes anywhere, but that's beside the point.)

Neither of us is terribly wealthy, so optics are likely to be a Nikon P-308 that he has on another rifle.

So with all of this, I've been placed in charge of caliber selection. So far, I've narrowed it down to 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7mm Rem Mag. I just can't make up my mind. We'll be handloading for it, so that opens up a lot of options, but I'm still undecided.

Any suggestions?

--TK

260 AI shooting 147s
6.5 Creedmoor shooting 130s
7mm Rem mag shooting 162s

For target and steel, the 6.5mm cartridges are perfect.
If you are going after game then the 7mm gets my nod.

The reason I put the .260 AI on the list, is because I don't think the .260 offers enough advantage over the Creedmoor to really pick between the two. But a AI definetly separates it from the Creed and is just about ideal for the 147 ELD.

I have a 6.5 Creed and a 7 Rem mag. They are not even in the same category as far as performance. The 7-08 would be a better comparison, and is a very good cartridge that has a lot to offer. A 1-9 twist 7-08 either a strait 7-08 or a AI version in my opinion, is a much better cartridge than any of the 6.5s...

If you roll your own 260 AI on a long action, factory ammo 6.5 creed.

Last edited:
THe rifle will mostly be for steel/targets at long range, though coyotes might be on the menu at around 600yds once in a while.

I won't talk to him again until Wednesday, so we'll see what he has to say about it then. Like I said, we'll be handloading for it, too.

--TK

If your hand loading I would def consider 260 AI, built on a long action you can take advantage of a little more capacity than the creed and get lapua brass. The new 147 Eld-m really shines for me with this setup.

What brass and dies do you currently have?

6.5cm
260ai (agree w/ above statement)
6.5x284 (barrel burner but could be toned down)
6.5x55
284win
280ai

The fun plinker IMO would be the CM on a short action with a 70* bolt.. aka tikka, but Not sure if they offer CM

Build a .284 Win on a Savage long action. It is a great cartridge that fits between the .260/6.5 Creedmoor and the 7mm Rem Mag. Make sure you order a barrel that has a long throat so you can seat the 175-180s out there and take advantage of the long action and powder capacity. With a 26" barrel you will be able to get 2750-2850fps pretty easily with the heavy bullets. That is right behind the 7mm Rem Mag all while burning 10gr less powder.

Scrap the build get RUGER PRECISION sell the Nikon get Athlon optic. Cheaper than the build without the wait. Unless you already have some of the parts for the build

For ringing steel at 1000 yds any of those will work. Of those three I'd pick the 6.5 Creedmoor in 8 twist. The smaller rounds are more fun to shoot for extended periods. You're not going to want to shoot 100 rounds of 7mm rem mag in one outing.

I have a 6mmBR that I use for 1000 yd steel plinking. 107 sierra matchkings at 2800 fps do good work at 1000 yds and is easy on the shoulder, you can shoot it all day. I also use it as my long range prairie dog gun shooting 105 Amax's. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on coyotes at any range.

An argument can be made that the 6.5's are going to buck the wind better than the 6's, and likewise with the 7mm's vs. the 6.5's. There's a point where it's not fun to shoot though.

I'm going to say either the 6.5 CM or the 280 Rem. Reason I say the 280 Rem over the 284 winchester is the brass availability. And at least with the 280 you can form brass from 30-06 or 270 if need be. I love the 280 and think it's a round over looked alot in long range hunting and shooting. But if your only plinking steel then the 6.5 cm would be perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.