How do i catch a fired bullet without damaging it?

Canadian Bushman

I need a test media i can fire a bullet into and retrieve it in good enough condition to examine the rifling.

I have a bunch of closed cell foam and an old rug i was considering giving a try.

+1 on the reduced load. Almost any media will mess up a bullet at high velocity. The trouble with reduced loads (reduced expansion) is that they will penetrate farther than high velocity loads so you have to take that into account. I would use 3-4' of water to slow it down and catch the bullet in several layers of carpet. Make sure you have a good backstop because you may be surprised how much a non expanded bullet will penetrate. I don't know which bullet you plan on testing but I would probably fire it in the 2000-2200' muzzle velocity to get SOME expansion to help slow down the penetration. You should still have enough body left to show the rifling marks well....Rich

I plan on testing a 215 berger hybrid and a 105 berger hybrid.

The point of the test is to comfirm a theory about button vs cut rifling. I think reduced loads could reduce obturation and ruin the experiment.

I was thinking full power loads at distances of 6-8 hundred yards through ruffled paper, foam and carpet may slow the bullet down enough to dig out of the dirt without to much damage. I figure ill try clogging the tips with paper before launch as well.

I plan on testing a 215 berger hybrid and a 105 berger hybrid.

The point of the test is to comfirm a theory about button vs cut rifling. I think reduced loads could reduce obturation and ruin the experiment.

I was thinking full power loads at distances of 6-8 hundred yards through ruffled paper, foam and carpet may slow the bullet down enough to dig out of the dirt without to much damage. I figure ill try clogging the tips with paper before launch as well.

OK, that makes sense. I would agree with the full power at a distance. Clogging up the tip will help too!......Rich

OK, that makes sense. I would agree with the full power at a distance. Clogging up the tip will help too!......Rich

Fill the tip w/ wax or glue. Maybe a hanging back stop after the papers, like heavy rug doubled up but swinging in the wind to absorb the energy.

I just reach out and grab em as they exit the muzzle.

Can't you!

Sincerely Superman aka Fred.

I couldn't resist long. I did want to hear suggestions so that the knowledge is shared..

Why can't you slug the bore with a lead sinker or soft lead pistol bullet to compare rifling?
I've done this several times and the rifling is sharp and well defined, just like a fired bullet.
It only needs to be a couple of cals bigger to work.

Cheers.
gun)

Adam,

I forgot how much of a bad *** ace ventura was!

Why can't you slug the bore with a lead sinker or soft lead pistol bullet to compare rifling?
I've done this several times and the rifling is sharp and well defined, just like a fired bullet.
It only needs to be a couple of cals bigger to work.

Ive heard of slugging a bore, but ive never done it before. I also dont want to duplicate the result, but simply observe it. Im not sure but i would be afraid that the lead slug would obturate to the bore perfectly when my bullet may not.

My good friend tomato farms, and uses a 300 gallon water tote. Its plastic about 6x6 tall. They come on wooden pallets. They usually carry chemicals. Lots of people use them for hunting clubs. They WILL take and stop a 338 Lapua round AND a 470 double rifle round at 100 yards. My friend and i shot his 470 before he went to africa with it! You can buy them for around 50 bucks used around here. You can plug the hole with putty after you shoot it, and keep using it. :D

My good friend tomato farms, and uses a 300 gallon water tote. Its plastic about 6x6 tall. They come on wooden pallets. They usually carry chemicals. Lots of people use them for hunting clubs. They WILL take and stop a 338 Lapua round AND a 470 double rifle round at 100 yards. My friend and i shot his 470 before he went to africa with it! You can buy them for around 50 bucks used around here. You can plug the hole with putty after you shoot it, and keep using it. :D

Id give that a go, if i could find one somewhere near me.

They should be very common. Lots of them on craigslist in ALABAMA. They usually contain MILD pesticides or cleaning solutions. I know lots of guys buy them clean them out good, and make overhead showers or septic tanks at hunting clubs with them. How about if you got TWO 55 gallon plastic barrells, fill with water and line them up behind one another? I would think at 100 yards, it would stop a bullet? I use 5 gallon buckets of wet sand to do weight reteintion own 300 OTMs and Cutting Edge Bullets with my 338 Lapua at 100 yards. One 5 gallon bucket will stop a 300 gr OTM berger at 2950fps . It mangles the bullet up, so that may not be what you want, but it WILL stop bulllets also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.