How common is a mischambered barrel?

Snowbird

I'm not a prolific shooter and only see a reason to replace the factory barrel when I need something specific. That said, I'm trying to put together a suppressed 20" bbl bolt action and was going to put it together tonight but noticed the chamber diameter looked a bit small. Reading the outside of the barrel confirmed it was chambered in 270Win, not WSM as the bill of lading stated. Further inspection revealed choppy threading at the muzzle end which didn't easily accept my adapter. Is this common? Should I send this back and try another barrel MFG?

I'm guessing this barrel is not going to be able to be reamed for a WSM unless i want a half inch of freebore. Looking for a little guidance here.

Well, no a WSM reamer will not clean up a 270 Win chamber. Is the action short or long?
If it is short, then the barrel needs to go back, if it long, you do have options.
270 Weatherby, RUM based cartridges like the Nosler will work to clean up the chamber, amongst wildcats thereof.
Personally, if it were me, I would send it back regardless, it's not what you ordered.

Cheers.

Reading the outside of the barrel confirmed it was chambered in 270Win, not WSM as the bill of lading stated
I must've missed something.
You thought you were purchasing (and it was advertised as much) a WSM barrel, but the engraving and visual inspection indicate it is something else.

Whether this was a new prefit, or a used take-off- it wasn't as advertised so why not send it back?

New prefit for a 270wsm Tikka. I was assuming the mfg would want to limit his loss and rechamber that barrel. I will be sending it back but want to decide if I want them to build another or cut my lost time and get another mfg to build it. I can understand the wrong caliber mistake but I'm a little concerned that they can't cut smooth class 3 threads. I've had worse thread jobs surprisingly but I'd expect a brand new barrel to come with smooth threads.

Sounds like a SJA barrel, hopefully not. Either way they need to replace it with the correct barrel and to precision tolerances like they should be

Kasey