Barrel Is A Magnet

Edd

I have a new Krieger stainless steel barrel blank. I sent it to Manners so they could inlet a stock I had ordered to fit the barrel. I received the stock and the barrel back on Monday. The front 4-5 inches of the barrel is now a magnet. What kind of an experience could this barrel have had to cause this?

Curious to where this goes.

I'd like to hear a bit more about how magnetic it is, and/or how it caught your attention.

I noticed it when I made a mark with a Sharpie three inches from the muzzle. My steel ruler stuck to the barrel.

As for how magnetic it is, I don't know how to answer that. It won't jerk stuff from your fingers but it is magnetic enough to be obvious.

All it needs is to be exposed to heat and a magnetic field that will force realignment of the metal molecules.

It can pick up small amounts of surface magnetism by being in contact with a magnet. For instance if someone fixed a piece of paper to th it with a magnet (which Manners doesn't do, they tie a tag with string)

That surface mag stick will be easily lost after a 10 shot string.

So how can stainless be a magnet ??

Unless it's not "stainless"...... uneven alloy mix maybe ?

So how can stainless be a magnet ??

Unless it's not "stainless"...... uneven alloy mix maybe ?

Depends on the grade of stainless it is. I have a browning stainless barrel that a magnet will stick too. Barrels aren't the same as stainless cookware or something. That is why stainless guns will still rust. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give us the grade numbers soon. But that is the just of it.

his must be the third or fourth time I've posted this. In the world of irons (yes stainless steel is an iron), if it will harden; it has all the properties of ordinary steel. Including magnetic properties. Plus it will rust.

Your better off leaving the barrel alone, as there's nothing your going to run down the barrel that's ferritic. Sometimes heat will change the granular structure enough, but will also ruin the barrel. There's another way using a D cell battery, but have never done it. Best way is to run the barrel thru a demag once or twice. No more than that, as you'll probably magnetize the whole barrel.

gary

I have a new Krieger stainless steel barrel blank. I sent it to Manners so they could inlet a stock I had ordered to fit the barrel. I received the stock and the barrel back on Monday. The front 4-5 inches of the barrel is now a magnet. What kind of an experience could this barrel have had to cause this?

All of my 416 ss barrels are magnetic enough to hold my torpedo level on the top side when leveling the rifle for scope alignment.
If your barrel is more magnetized than a piece of Carbon / CM steel than it has picked up more magnetism from an outside source.

All of my 416 ss barrels are magnetic enough to hold my torpedo level on the top side when leveling the rifle for scope alignment.
If your barrel is more magnetized than a piece of Carbon / CM steel than it has picked up more magnetism from an outside source.

I have 3 new Chromoly blanks and 7 new Stainless blanks. This is the only one that is magnetized.

Being magnetic is not the same as being magnetized.

I have 3 new Chromoly blanks and 7 new Stainless blanks. This is the only one that is magnetized.

Being magnetic is not the same as being magnetized.

Right,
I don't think any of my barrel could actually attract a steel ruler as you stated. So someone is different on that barrel.

A friend of mine said something similar to that. He buys some real strong magnets to use at his workplace. He said if my barrel rode on the UPS truck laying beside some of his magnets it would likely turn into a magnet too.

I believe I have a way to demagnetize it. I will know in a few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.