How common do you shoot better at distance?

although I have heard many people talk about shooting better at long distance, I have never experienced it. I load test at 200 yards and get a repeatable group then set a target at 600 and 900 on a calm day. if im getting 5/8 to 3/4 moa at 200, my bergers will usually hold this at 900 but after that open up a little. not true with some other bullets. if its breezy, I wont hold this at 900.

Don't shoot groups,,, go after the tightest horizontal line,,, as time passes by things turn into the water line. The Vertical.

With luck a person will see something that looks like a group.

Not sure if this is true since I heard roumers that this is what happens when things fall into place.

Ho Hummmmm,,, I think it's year 5 of this never ending practic that keeps me coming back to it.

PS: Heavy Boolitz definitely show signs of tight lines.

Push your eye closer to the scope until a shadow encircles the image then center the image within the shadow to remove any parallax effects because your eye is centered to the scope

I set my target scopes a little further forward than optimum and pull my eye back till I get the 'shadow' and the image is small..its really easy to center the image up and remove all parallax.

I think that part of it is that at short range you can see your group forming and you are trying to "shoot into the group" while at long range you probably can't see your group forming. Try this next time you are shooting short range: Adjust your scope so that the point of impact is 4 -6 " to one side (or above/below if you prefer) of your aiming point. When you steady your scope on your aiming point, you won't be able to see your prior shots. I bet your short range groups improve this way.
Never tried tried moving impact that far, but I do like to use the corner of a square as an aim point. The "corner" gives me something to focus on besides the group and usually impacts are high at 100 yds anyway. I try not to study the group until the string is done but I like the idea of moving it out of the sight picture.

morning, when sighting a rifle. get on the paper. next shot I
take is my aiming point. I use the bullet hole for a
target. rifle scope, concentration, posture, check weld, wind,
humidity, heart beat and altitude all play a part in shooting accuracy.
mind of matter. AIM SMALL--HIT SMALL. justme gbot tum

When I took the NRA Instructor course with Jon Green last Spring, I learned that the NRA tells us to start people off with blank paper and very short distances (NMT 10'). As you get groups on paper, move the target out further and work on your groups.

21' is ideal as that is the distance that can be easily defended in court in case of a self-defense situation. <see Tueller Drill>

Once you get good enough at closer distances, shooting at 50' is good for bullseye practice.

Realize that many clubs don't allow you to shoot at anything other than fixed distances . . . often 33' (air pistol range), 50' and 75' (both are used for bullseye matches).

I set my target scopes a little further forward than optimum and pull my eye back till I get the 'shadow' and the image is small..its really easy to center the image up and remove all parallax.
Either way works, usually on prone I try to have the scope distance set so it's easier forward to move then if I'm in other positions, my eye is not too far from the scope

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.