How accurate can you get Nosler Partitions?

Years ago when my family decided to start hunting elk, everything I read said you needed a lot of bullet to put down elk. At that time all we had hunted were deer and 150 grain Sierra Gameking was our bullet of choice. When I started working up a load using 180 grain Nosler Partitions I ran into the most frustrating load development that I have ever tried. I was loading for six different rifles in 30-06. I tried three or four different powders and multiple COAL. I could not get a group under two inches at a 100. Finally got close to hunting season and went back to Sierra. 180 Gamekings shot sub one inch groups out of all six rifles using IMR-4350. The most surprising rifle was my Dad's Springfield A3-03 with two lands. We bought that rifle for $29.95 of the rack at a local gun shop in Tucson. Shooting the Sierra bullets I was amazed at the 0.5 inch group that old rifle produced. My Dad is 92 and still goes with us to chase elk.
Bottom line for me is I don't even try to use Nosler bullets.

This is a group I shot with my 325 WSM, it was the beginning of an OCW test I was doing. I never followed up with it because I have other things going on. I know it's there and have a few hundred of the 200gr Partitions for that gun. I already had a 200gr Accubond load worked up and shooting well so I wasn't too worried about it. It's something I'd like to explore though.

F819AEAC-B64E-47C3-A95C-C4AEA9547CEA.jpeg

I've used Nosler Partition bullets in various calibers for 50 yrs. now. Accuracy wise they are not the most accurate bullets that I have ever used. The partition is a complex bullet by design, thus making it more difficult to manufacture which leads to a loss of consistency. I currently use these bullets in 3 calibers: 270, 284 win., and a 300 WEA mag. All but the 284 are basically stock. They are all glass bedded, new triggers, and have been re-crowned. With some load tinkering, all of these rifles will consistently group into .8 or better for 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. I have found that you need to try different seating depths to achieve the best accuracy. In the case of my 300 WEA, ( Remington 700 classic ) the seating depth is 0.030 off the lands, while my 270's sweet spot is at 0.015. These bullets were never designed for extreme long range shooting, but within their range, they are one of the most reliable bullets available for humanely taking big game. Good luck, and good hunting!

I agree with 358 Guy. I found that in my 30-06 the 165gr partitions (exposed point and protected point) shoot to very much the same point of impact out to 200yds.
A less than 1" group at 200yds is totally acceptable to me. Beyond 200 the exposed points held tighter groups. They like to be .017 off the lands in my Rem700. In my .270win I shoot the 150gr exposed point partitions. I can make sub 1" groups at 200yds if I do my part. shooting a Sig 970SHR, it likes the bullets .022 off the lands. A number of years back I had great difficulty finding Nosler partitions in .270. So I turned to Swift, Their 150gr A-frame (which is very much like the partition) shot lights out. Their bonded Scirocco, I found, out shoots Noslers ABLR, The Nosler AB outshoots the ABLR. Both swift offerings perform great on game. Took some big muleys with them. Have taken lots of deer sized game with the Nosler's too. I had a .270 Weatherby Mag for a while. Both the Nosler and Swift offerings performed well at near max load velocities. Accuracy wasn't as impressive as in the .270win but it was good enough to regularly make one shot kills beyond 500yds. .015 off the lands for the AB and sirocco, 0.020 off for the partition, .022 off for the A-frame.

I was unsuccessful in getting the 180's to group under 1 MOA. Also had two 140 Gr 7mm partitions literally explode - one in a Mouflon Ram and another in an Axis doe. These were all older partitions - like pre 2000. The 7mm bullets did not exit and I found 3 to 6 grain chunks of copper/lead everywhere. Never was able to find/identify the shaft or core. I never loaded any of these bullets for hunting again.
That's pretty unusual for a partition

I was unsuccessful in getting the 180's to group under 1 MOA. Also had two 140 Gr 7mm partitions literally explode - one in a Mouflon Ram and another in an Axis doe. These were all older partitions - like pre 2000. The 7mm bullets did not exit and I found 3 to 6 grain chunks of copper/lead everywhere. Never was able to find/identify the shaft or core. I never loaded any of these bullets for hunting again.
That's pretty unusual for a partition

I've never had a great deal of luck loading the partitions. Same rifle and same load with partitions were 1.5" MOA at best vs. sub-MOA for AB's. Shot my biggest deer with factory partitions many years ago DRT. I wish my current rifles liked them.
I had the same problem until someone told me I was not pushing them hard enough. I push the limit on loads and have had good success with accuracy In 30 and 6.5. Sometimes takes a while to find the speed each barrel likes. I have not found significant difference with Blems. As was stated earlier, Accubonds tend to get to 1/2 Moa easier

Sub MOA with the same bullet out of a slow twist 30-06.
I understand that they're most accurate when pushed hard. Something to do with the exposed lead at the base.
Hmmm....never ever heard this. The jacket has a barrier where it is rolled into the center. Does not have exposed lead to the edge. I wonder what the claim was? I heard the partition itself and balance problems was the cause for accuracy problems. I push the gee whiz out of them to the point of punching primers. Never noticed accuracy loss the harder they were pushed. They either shot well in that gun or did not. The never got much worse than 1.5" no matter what.....just did not turn in very many .25" groups. Death ray on animals though.

Cabel, I've never had a NP fragment the way you describe. Never! Even on shoulder shots. My 7mmWM shoots 2-3in. groups at 500 yds. with them. I use the 160gn NP's, at 3140fps. Could you have been using the Interbond?

Hmmm....never ever heard this. The jacket has a barrier where it is rolled into the center. Does not have exposed lead to the edge. I wonder what the claim was? I heard the partition itself and balance problems was the cause for accuracy problems. I push the gee whiz out of them to the point of punching primers. Never noticed accuracy loss the harder they were pushed. They either shot well in that gun or did not. The never got much worse than 1.5" no matter what.....just did not turn in very many .25" groups. Death ray on animals though.
The way I read his post, the Partitions did better at higher velocities

Cabel, I've never had a NP fragment the way you describe. Never! Even on shoulder shots. My 7mmWM shoots 2-3in. groups at 500 yds. with them. I use the 160gn NP's, at 3140fps. Could you have been using the Interbond?
It was probably a manufacturing defect in the lot i was using. I noticed this with the original Barnes bullets also and when I called them about what I found regarding the olgive being all over the place, they offered to replace them at their expense. I had taken maybe 10 animals with partitions prior to the two what I would call failures and never had a problem - but they were from another lot number. I also bought a box of factory 300 WSM once that had a 7MM bullet instead of a .308. So I understand things happen, especially when you shoot a lot.

On their website Nosler has a recommended velocity where bullet performance is optimal. Not muzzle velocity, terminal velocity.