Hornady interlock high velocity

I wish they made a nice weight accubond for it
I don't know what your experience is with this cartridge and bullets, but my buddy bought one of these when it was first introduced and bought the Winchester ammo using the red tipped, black coated Accubond at 200g…it is a devastating bullet and mirrors the performance of a 30 cal 200g Accubond, perfect mushroom out to ungodly ranges on our 650lb Sambar deer here.
I don't see your issue with this weight bullet, seeing that the 220g is the average weight for the heaviest available.
I've used Accubonds in every weight/cal available, except 24 & 8mm, never had a failure of any kind, even below the minimum velocity (1,800fps) threshold.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I don't like cup and core bullets that don't use some kind of molecular or welded bonding. The mechanical bond isn't well designed to hold the bullet together at high velocity.

Interbond is still a time tested bullet and there's absolutely no reason they won't work on game. Selective shot placement is just more important than with bonded, partitioned or mono bullets.

Last edited:
I don't like cup and core bullets that don't use some kind of molecular or welded bonding. The mechanical bond isn't well designed to hold the bullet together at high velocity.

Interbond is still a time tested bullet and there's absolutely no reason they won't work on game. Selective shot placement is just more important than with bonded or mono bullets.
That's half true and half wrong, or at least incomplete. I have a place on my shelf for monos, bonded, and normal soft points alike. But sometimes there are shots and shot placements where a bullet of lighter construction and more violent disintegration absolutely kills faster than any bonded or monometal bullet. So while I I mostly agree that bonded and monos allow for more shot opportunities and require less selectivity, I'll add the caveat that double lunged critters hit with those bullets, especially lighter framed game with small diameter cartridges, can and do run much much farther than if hit with a good old soft point or frangible match type bullet. Of course, they'll die regardless if both lungs are hit but tough bullets used on not so tough game at distance kill slower than humanely possible.

I also shoot a .325 Wsm, I use 195gr hornaday interlock in front of RL 19, it is the hammer of Thor, it flattens everything i shoot it with.
Love this. If you don't mind sharing, what muzzle velocity, what kind of game animals and at what distances? I beleive the 196 ppu soft points I'm using in my 8mm Mauser should be very similar, but at much milder velocity…sort of equivalent to your rig at 150 yards but at the muzzle for me haha

Love this. If you don't mind sharing, what muzzle velocity, what kind of game animals and at what distances? I beleive the 196 ppu soft points I'm using in my 8mm Mauser should be very similar, but at much milder velocity…sort of equivalent to your rig at 150 yards but at the muzzle for me haha
averaged 2825 fps, I've taken pronghorn out past 300 yards, I've taken deer past 200 yards, and I've taken elk out to 300 yards, I try to keep my shots doable

Interbond is still a time tested bullet and there's absolutely no reason they won't work on game. Selective shot placement is just more important than with bonded, partitioned or mono bullets.
I believe that you meant interlock. Interbond is a bonded bullet and quite a good one that Hornady decided to quit making.
I like cup and core up to about 3000 fps and then it's time to shoot bonded or monos.

That's half true and half wrong, or at least incomplete. I have a place on my shelf for monos, bonded, and normal soft points alike. But sometimes there are shots and shot placements where a bullet of lighter construction and more violent disintegration absolutely kills faster than any bonded or monometal bullet. So while I I mostly agree that bonded and monos allow for more shot opportunities and require less selectivity, I'll add the caveat that double lunged critters hit with those bullets, especially lighter framed game with small diameter cartridges, can and do run much much farther than if hit with a good old soft point or frangible match type bullet. Of course, they'll die regardless if both lungs are hit but tough bullets used on not so tough game at distance kill slower than humanely possible.
I'll certainly give you incomplete, I tried to keep it short, but maybe I should have elaborated. Ultimately no matter what bullet a hunter chooses, they're giving up one aspect of performance vs another. The decision is what combination of features you choose to seek or avoid. Play to the strengths of the bullet you choose and it will work fine.

I've personally been burned by uncontrolled expansion bullets too many times so I go with a more durable bullet now at the expense of maximum damage during double lung type shots. There are no perfect bullets and no free lunches.

I'll certainly give you incomplete, I tried to keep it short, but maybe I should have elaborated. Ultimately no matter what bullet a hunter chooses, they're giving up one aspect of performance vs another. The decision is what combination of features you choose to seek or avoid. Play to the strengths of the bullet you choose and it will work fine.
I've personally been burned by uncontrolled expansion bullets too many times so I go with a more durable bullet now at the expense of maximum damage during double lung type shots. There are no perfect bullets and no free lunches.

Agree 💯

And if I had to pick between controlled and uncontrolled I'd go controlled expansion every time.

What I've seen people get poor results with tho is thinking they need a heavy for caliber excessively tough controlled expansion bullet in moderate velocity cartridges like the ubiquitous .308 Winchester for example to go deer hunting. In that very commonly used cartridge for deer sized game it's not just that heavy tough bullets aren't necessary: they're actually much much worse than an ordinary soft point of medium weight (150-165 gr in that caliber). Then they can't believe it when they take a broadside shot on a whitetail at over 300 yards and the animal runs a quarter of a mile or more (I've seen this), saying

"and I was even using a premium bullet! And a 180 grain!"

Yep. That's what went wrong. And these are the same "old school" mentality people who would chide me for using a 225 eld m in my 300 Winnie for hunting saying "son, that's a target bullet, it's not ethical to use that for hunting" AND who express concern about a 75 hammer hunter in .257 wby for deer, once again saying "that's just too light to be anything but a varmint round"

Now this is no fault of the bullet, but ignorance about bullets.

Last edited:
There is another factor regarding controlled expansion, bonded versus non-bonded and conventional cup & core bullets…and that is meat damage, bloodshot damage and bullet particles.
Most bonded bullets expand with the folded jacket very close to the shank, which cuts down on meat damage, non-bonded bullets tend to open wide and stay that way, disrupting, or cavitating, more tissue causing more bloodshot meat.
The 1 cup & core bullet I have found very bloody good for normal shooting ranges and not destroying too much meat is Remington's CoreLokt bullet, it just works very well.
The issue with solid copper bullets is the fact that they open very wide and disrupt a lot of tissue. When butchering smaller deer side by side, there is a significant difference in meat loss between a TSX/TTSX shot deer and an Accubond or even a Partition. I try not to hit shoulders or high shoulders with copper bullets, I hate losing blackstrap meat!

Cheers.