Hornady interlock high velocity

I too have used the Interlocks in both 243 and 30 caliber rifles and never had a problem at that time.When I was able I started driving north west to hunt elk I used the 180 gr Interlocks and took an elk every year for many years with them with no problems.I then moved to Montana and took elk and mule deer with and moved up to 300 win mag and took some animals and had to shoot a mule deer twice with the Interlocks and switched to Partitions due to that problem at close to 3000 fps.Partitions became hard to find so I now use Accubond bullets and never looked back.
TTSX is a good choice and I took several animals but I had bullet come apart at close range.Then confirmed my switch to Accubond bullets.

A few years back I had the experience of using a 338 Interbond on a mule deer in Idaho. This was the first animal I had taken with this rifle. I was using the a handload 225 gn Interbond bullet going 2800fps. Broad side shot through the ribs at around 100 yrds. The bullet over expanded since the exit hole was about 2". More like a close shot eith a 12 guage slug. Lungs and heart was liquefied. He still did a 50 yrd death run across a snow covered sage brush opening painting everything red in the process.
After that experience I switched to Accubonds. Since this was my elk rifle and could only imagine how it would preformon a shoulder hit on an elk. I now only use bonded or monos for elk.

I have no experience with a .325. I do shoot Hornady Interlocks in my .270. I shoot 150 grain interlocks at 2983 FPS average. I have shot mule deer, whitetails and pronghorn. All have been dead right there and had exit wounds. Closest shot was 80 yards and longest was about 325 yards. I have been using the same load in that rifle since the eighties.
Pretty sure I've taken more deer with a 270 and interlocks than any other combo.

The 130 is an amazing bullet, never had one fail to "interlock" as in find a mushroom offside or exit. Very violent along the way.

The 150 is slightly less destructive and gives a little more likely exit wounds.

The 140 btsp interlock is a bit of a conundrum for me. It penetrates, it expands, but I found it to for some reason be a bit slower killing all around than it's flat base brothers. It does have less exposed lead on the nose and that might have something to do with it. I'm also not convinced that there isnt something of a greater "vacuum" cavitation effect BEHIND a flat base as it traverses an animal.

Last edited:
Recently picked up a 325 wsm Hopefully here this fall I can start finding a good load for it. Seems the two bullets I think fit my bill for hunting at ranges I do here in PA is the 150gr interlock or 160ge ttsx. I have used both kinds in the best mostly interlocks in everything. Only question is never used interlock at high speeds. If I have a mv over say 3200 would it hold up on a deer at less then 50 if I was ever in that situation. Figured maybe someone has tested that on here

I "was" extremely happy with my interlocks in my .375 H&H, even with close range shots.

When I used them my first year with my .375 AI (a bit more velocity, while the bullet held up pretty well……IMO penetration was far less than I wanted. The shot was @ about 60 yards, only bone encounted was a rib, the bullet failed to exit on a broadside shot. The recovered bullet retained about 60% of it's original weight, about typical for a cup and core that doesn't fragment. It gave the "picture perfect" mushroom, very a very large frontal area. IMO these two things contributed to the lack of penetration. Again IMO….. For deer or smaller big game this would be a great bullet at higher impact velocites!

But, for elk or larger big game…..I prefer a bullet that offers much more penetration with high velocity impacts! But, that's just me!

The Barnes will certainly be adequate for deer on a broadside shot….but will offer better penetration potential on a steeply angled shot! memtb

Other problem I'm at with the barnes ttsx is the only list two powders for the 160gr. One is rl17 other is 2700. I don't have either and can't find relaoder 17 anywhere so I'm kinda stuck there.

Do ya have any powders with very similar burn rates? With my AI, there was very little (that I could find) load info especially with some of the newer powders. I simply used .375 Weatherby load data (again could not find any data with newer powders) …..I simply found powders with similar burn rates, started at the lower end and worked from there!

This system should work fine as well for you! memtb

Recently picked up a 325 wsm Hopefully here this fall I can start finding a good load for it. Seems the two bullets I think fit my bill for hunting at ranges I do here in PA is the 150gr interlock or 160ge ttsx. I have used both kinds in the best mostly interlocks in everything. Only question is never used interlock at high speeds. If I have a mv over say 3200 would it hold up on a deer at less then 50 if I was ever in that situation. Figured maybe someone has tested that on here
Use the Barnes or Hammer.

Other problem I'm at with the barnes ttsx is the only list two powders for the 160gr. One is rl17 other is 2700. I don't have either and can't find relaoder 17 anywhere so I'm kinda stuck there.
For what it's worth hodgdon has 17 different powders with data for a 175 soft point in 325 wsm. It's not your bullet, and Barnes can pressure different BUT it is 15 grains heavier…if you start with starting loads and work up I'm 💯 sure you'll be fine and find a good load with something you have. Obviously everyone is responsible for themselves, I am not telling you to do this, I'm saying it's what I would do and have done with other cartridges.

And a nice thing about these short fat cartridges is you don't have to be quite so paranoid about creating a dangerous situation if your under what would be a starting load by a few grains, unlike some of the long belted mags or lapua/ultra mag/Nosler mag type cases

I've killed a bunch of mule deer with 165s out of a 300wby. These chronographed 3340 as I recall. At very close range, these wouldn't exit a shot through the ribs (let alone the shoulder). From 200 out to too far, they always have exited, even if the shoulder was encountered. Loved the performance. Where I hunted, shots have averaged 300yds. Would not be my choice for typical archery ranges. I've seen a bunch of elk shot with the 180s at 3100. Similar experience. I would not use those at archery ranges either, at least not on elk.

At very close range, these wouldn't exit a shot through the ribs (let alone the shoulder). From 200 out to too far, they always have exited, even if the shoulder was encountered.
If your talking about Hornady Interlock this is my experience as well, although my MV's were about 10% slower then yours