Hornady Equipment

In_Him

Hello all,
I'm not quite ready to get into reloading as I don't have the space. However, I'd like to start looking at what will be needed to start down that rabbit hole in search of Alice.
1. How's Hornady's equipment? (I get a healthy discount)
2. What is needed at start up that can scale up eventually?

TYIA!

Your going to get lots of great information from people who have way more knowledge then I but to help people give pertinent advice you may want to give some details.
What type of shooting do you want to do?As in highest possible precision or large amounts?

Hornady equipment is as good as any other brand, as a new reloader I would recommend you start at the start. There's a kit for that.
As stated in question #2 you can scale up as you go. Absolutes are manuals (data and instructions) and accurate measurements.

Good luck, it's a rewarding hobby.

As someone who has been reloading since I was 17 or so (I'm 71 now) I would recommend sticking with, for single stage, RCBS and if you're leaning towards progressive, Dillon. Hornady comes in down the list a ways. It will get the job done but personally, I haven't had good luck with Hornady stuff, although I know others have. Just my personal experience.

Get a decent beam scale and learn to use it properly before you buy a digital. Zero them both often, especially after being moved or bumped! This is critical, especially when you start moving up into the realm of max pressure loads.

I do not recommend kits, since you will just end up with a lot of mostly low quality stuff you will probably never use. You will need a half way decent dial caliper, a scale and a few other minor items before you start. Search tge archives, I'm sure there is bound to be a list of the basic things you must have.

Reloading is as safe as you make it. Learn to use whatever equipment you buy (read and understand the instructions before you start). Ask questions here regarding things you don't get, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!
Cheers,
crkckr

Lots of good equipment in the marketplace.

I suggest one of the very good single stage presses.

I bought the Redding Boss decades ago.
Note this comment on the above web page...."Buy the Kit, Save 25% on Dies and Shellholder
Also available in kit form: Includes press, shellholder, and your choice of any Series "A" full length die set."

I have added the Forster Co Ax Press but cannot discern any difference in loaded ammunition between the 2 presses.

Hello all,
I'm not quite ready to get into reloading as I don't have the space. However, I'd like to start looking at what will be needed to start down that rabbit hole in search of Alice.

TYIA!
Not a big fan of Hornady equipment

Hello all,
Nothing wrong with Hornady. Some people have particular brand loyalty and preferences, Get what you can afford, and do not worry about others' thinking about your setup. It will not be your last or only reloading equipment as you progress.

TYIA!
Get yourself a reloading manual, preferably from the bullet manufacturer (i.e., Hornady's) that you will load; it will have the essential tools to get you going. RCBS has a DVD that is very educational for new reloaders. There is also plenty of information on YouTube. Take your time and enjoy the learning process.

ADDED: This is the DVD I was referring to and what I use to help friends wanting to explore reloading.

8161BDE8-2DEF-49F2-BDF9-632C8A2194F5.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been in the game almost as long as ckrckr, started in 1975 with a Lee Benchrest hand loader for my Remington 788 22-250 and Tasco Target scope and shot consistent 1/4 MOA from sandbags. In the '70's I worked at Glen Slades which was one of the largest gun stores in Texas.

If you are short on space, nothing beats a good arbor press and a set of Wilson dies and as crkckr said a good bean scale, I use a Redding, these scales are usually cast with open voids and I fill the voids with lead which helps to dampen outside influences. I still use Lee powder scoops which get me close enough to finish a powder charge with a trickler. Hand primers are inexpensive and easy to use. A good caliper for measuring is a must and I use Hornady case measuring tools. If you buy Hornady dies I would buy only the Match series, their standard dies are often weak on tolerances.

Try to find an experienced loader in your area and ask him to tutor you for a while, the assurance of a knowledgeable person will go a long way to build confidence that you understand what you're doing, taking no shortcuts and answering questions you don't yet know to ask.

Hello all,

TYIA!
Years ago I started with the Lee, Lee Loader. As a kid it was great, and I learned how everything was put together and all of the ends and outs of reloading cartridges. My children, girls as well as boys first started with the Lee Loader and soon graduated to the press. I learned that that after the kids had loaded for a while with the stuff and pound as my youngest called it they did not have any trouble going on to the press and really had no questions. Seems like when you start at the simplest, most basic concept there is a base to build upon. I still load a few every now and then with the old Lee, it just seems right. The only problem is they only build Lee Loader kits for the older basic cartridges commercially but they will build a custom one for you from Lee, (used to be $7 more than the over the counter kits). You used to see them on hunt trips out west especially in elk camps. Check it out, it fun, educating, and portable and might save your hunt sometime. Happy shooting,

Read, read, read. Purchase reloading manuals read and reread manuals about procedures. Then get input from people on line.
here. A great amount of knowledgeable reloaders here that use probably every make and model of reloading equipment. Every manufacture has good and not so good pieces of equipment. Some very high levels of expertise in reloading here. It all depends on what level of reloads you will be satisfied with. Great hobby.

Your going to get lots of great information from people who have way more knowledge then I but to help people give pertinent advice you may want to give some details.
What type of shooting do you want to do?As in highest possible precision or large amounts?
Good morning. I'm looking for precision as a priority. Not a big target guy, mainly hunting. However, I'd like to start shooting more. Between the 280AI and the 8.6BLK, I better learn to be self sufficient. Lol!

I have been using Hornady progresses presses and reloading accessories since the early 1980s. At times I read how good other equipment is and I purchased it, I realized that I was just flying into the hype, and I sell it at keeping my red equipment.

You can spend more money on other brands, but you cannot buy equipment with better service after the sale