Hornady bullet specific seaters

Santiam338

I see Hornady is offering bullet specific seaters for their dies...In my case it would be the 180 ELD-M for my 7 mag.. I would of course have to retire my RCBS dies and buy a new Hornady set,and then the 180 seater..

I have taken the seater out of my RCBS dies and I believe the bullet tip bottoms out at the same time it engages the ogive.. To close to call actually, but am trying to figure out the occasional bullet out of the group...Not much out,but enough to work all the angles.. LOL

Curious if anybody has went this route and their results.

I am not sure if there is a question in there but I will answer what I think you are getting at. Both Redding and Hornady offer "vld" seating stems. Why they are not the default I just don't understand. There is no down fall to using a seating stem that is "too deep". The problem with one that is too shallow is it will seat on the tip and not the ogive. The base to ogive measurement of every bullet I have ever measured is far more consistent than base to tip. Seating to the ogive yields a far more consistent seating depth. So yes the "vld" seating stems are worth it but I find it ridiculous we have to buy them.

Yes, a VLD seating stem.. Hornady actually makes them bullet specific the way I understand it..The ELD-X will be slightly different than the ELD-M.. Each one designed for the particular bullet.. Unfortunately RCBS doesn't offer one that I can find.

I also think they should be part of the original purchase package. I haven't tried Hornady die's, how is the quality?

I have a set of Redding comp dies and Hornday comp dies in 6.5 PRC I can see no difference between the two. I get .001 runout with both. I also have Hornady 300 PRC dies and results are the same. I do like the micrometer on the Redding better but not for double the money. Most of my dies are Redding.

Good to hear, I have mostly Forster and Redding but was looking at the Hornady this afternoon actually. Just purchased a new 7mm Rem and plan to shoot the 180 eld-m

Just got a new set of Hornady 22 Creed dies they came with 2 seaters, don't know any details on why, I had already thrown the instructions away. I picked the one that the Berger 85.5 and Horn 88 Eld fit in and they load no problem.
In Forster dies I have been able to load VLD's and A-Tips. I did have some trouble once and Forster sent me a new/different seater.
RCBS will make you a seat plug you have to send them 3 bullets and a few $. I had them make one for 416 Rigby with Cutting edge bullets a few years ago.
I think the deal with RCBS is they are the same corp. that makes Speer bullets and they don't make any real pointy bullets:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.