Hornady brass VS. Adg brass (6.5prc)

elk wallow

So I need to buy some 6.5 prc brass. I know adg is great. Is it worth paying almost double though? Would like to hear your guys experiences.

Thanks, Kevin

I have the Hornady because that was all that was available when I started my PRC and then bought some of the Gunwerks brass which they say is made by ADG. I have 10 reloads on the Hornady and still has a couple left in it. the Gunwerks sits untouched have enough Hornady to last life of barrel. pick one buy 100 pieces and it will last life of barrel

I have shot factory 6.5 PRC ammo out to 1130 yards out of my PRC next to hand loads running 147s at the same velocity and could tell zero difference on target. Both were well under .5moa with same POI. I developed loads with my last CM with Hornady brass and had no problem getting under .5 moa. My 300 PRC has no problem. I pay for better brass for longer life and/or better consistency. The fact is it can not always be seen on target.

Again do I think it is worth it? Yes, but NO it will not always yield better es and sd.

Here is why I think it is worth it big picture. If you buy the best and can't get your load tuned it is not going to be because of the brass. If you buy inferior brass and you are struggling to tune the load you may be left to try different brass.

Well if your a hunter trying to keep your shots in a 10" kill zone it's one thing. If your shooting 1000 yds and counting x's that's a whole different ball game. With Hornady brass in 6.5 cm my es and sd is in the teens. Plenty good enough. 1/2 moa as far as I can shoot.

ADG. Perhaps just my hot loads, but I've popped primer pockets after sometimes the second loading in the Hornady brass in several calibers.

Again do I think it is worth it? Yes, but NO it will not always yield better es and sd.

Any thing that gets your mind right is worth the expense. 2nd guessing your system components will add no value at any savings. If you lay awake at night staring at the ceiling wondering about your brass you didn't save $50 by not buying the ADG you wasted $50 buying the Hornady.

Me, I buy cheaper brass cause I don't put a lot of effort into it, I practice till it wears out and discard it. If I thought I could shoot well enough to know the difference I would spend the money

Buddy built a prc shooting in the 1s and ss under 2 with untouched Hornady. I'd still opt for the adg but Hornady seems to have stepped up their game

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts