Hornady auto powder thrower

Highvoltage

I've had one of these for 2 years now and use it exclusively. I currently don't have any other way of determining the accuracy of this thrower other than a lee balance beam style scale. Has anyone ever double checked the accuracy of one of these for say an average of 20 throws? Seems like when it gets to that last tenth it will bounce back and fourth a good bit but always says it's the desired weight. What's everyone's thoughts and is there a more accurate solution? Thanks for sharing!

I'm on my 3rd one. I have to set it for 1.5-2 grains under to even get close to target weight. Then I check with balance beam & electronic scales. Not one of my favorite tools. As for your question. I have done the check for average when it worked right. I found the straw trick to work well. Also if you have a gun cleaning mat try sitting it in that. Seems to take out some of the vibration.

BW

I use one, and like BW64, I set it to slow down 1.2 - 1.5 grns out. I also calibrate it regularly. When It does do the bounce back and forth I'll pull the pan and place it back on the scale if it's off I'll re throw it. I reload in my shop that is air conditioned and usually have a fan on to help circulate the air (I live in Az) so I do keep the air from hitting it directly which I found helps it from doing the dance. I have had great results with mine.

Used to have two brands electronic throwers, not any more. Just don't trust them and was always either recalibrating or checking with a beam scale. I don't load mass quantities, just use the beam scale and micrometer powder thrower with a trickler. Works best for me and all charges are dead on.

I have the Hornady Lock and Load and get the best results by setting it to throw at medium speed and then a fairly slow trickle speed. Depending on what powder charge I'm throwing, I set it to switch to trickle from one to two full grains below target weight. I set the target one tenth below what I need and trickle it onto a balance beam scale set right beside the thrower. I set it to one tenth below because it's easier to trickle a few granules in than to pick them out with tweezers. I usually trickle in 2-6 granules or pick out one or two. That is how I use it for precision loads that I want exact. For plinking or pistol rounds, I just set it to actual target and funnel in what it throws. Plus or minus three granules is good enough for those.

I always turn it on an hour or two before I start but have never noticed any drift.

I got overthrows before I figured it all out. That and to turn the AC off while using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.