Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass

gpo1956

Hey guys, is Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass any good? I've used some of theirs before and it was hit and miss. Since this is one of their proprietary cartridges, just wondering if they're more consistent.

WAIT Lapua has small primer pockets AND less case capacity! They may not be what you are looking for if you want to run longer heavy bullets for max speeds for hunting.
In my experience Lapua doesn't work well with things like RL26.
I would check out ADM brass too before making a final decision.

I have been running the Hornady brass for while. I started using them back when they were the only thing available. I use Lapua, ADG, Alpha, and definately appreciate good brass. That said, I have been using the same 175 pieces for two.years, and all have 6 or 7 reloads on them. I have pushed them pretty hard intermittently, including RL26, looking for high velocity loads. My friends tease me for continuing to use them, but I cant justify switching based on the longevity, and consistently, and accuracy. Maybe I just got lucky, but I get single digit ESs and sub 3/8 groups.....I'll switch to better brass when this batch gives up the ghost.

I run my Hornady at 43 grains of H4350 with a 140 and all good! It is a 62,000 psi cartridge, that for some reason in the manuals is downloaded?! I get actual, 7 firings, before the primer pockets, give it up! Anneal every other firing. Get mine from Midsouth, 100 bulk for $39.49.

My preference is the Starline LR! About $30 for 50, way more consistent and good brass to work with!

Peterson SR is awesome, but my bolts and small primers, crater and pierce, before it gets to a workable velocity.

Last edited:
Never knew about the case capacity issue...the 6.5X284 has standard primers.

I've heard people say it's better to have the smaller primers because it makes that part of the case stronger.

I know the Hornady 6.5 Grendel primer pockets get loose pretty quick. I've lost more cases to loose pockets than another issue.

I would run peterson brass. Right now with the 140 eld I'm running the 140 eld-m with rl-16 at 2863 fps with a SD of 4. Your SD numbers should be better with Peterson as its alot more consistent. You will lose velocity with the Peterson brass as it doesnt have the capacity of the hornady. ADG brass is good stuff. Case head seems to be harder than the Peterson based off loads I've been testing in both. One thing I'll say about ADG is the primer pockets are very strange. There is no resistance seating until you hit just about bottom then it tightens up. ADG loosened up after its virgin firing as far as seating pressure so I hope it's not going to get any worse. As of right now I prefer Peterson over ADG and hornady.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.