6.5 Creedmoor brass

FURMAN

I will be doing a complete review on Peterson(large and small primer pocket), Lapua, ADG, and Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass but thought I would throw out some weight measurements. For the purpose of the review I have ten pieces from each of the listed. Alpha would not sell me ten pieces at this time. They said they were making some changes and did not want the old stuff in the review. I am not going to give Hornady weight specs as it has a ridiculous range depending on lot.

brass weight SD, brass weight ES, H20 Capacity SD, H20 Capacity ES
Peterson small primer .81gr 2.36gr .75gr 2.24gr
avg case 174.63gr
avg capacity 50.04gr

Peterson Large primer .33gr 1.2gr .38gr .98gr
avg case 170.02
avg capacity 50.23

Lapua .24gr .74gr .23gr .66gr
avg case 165.27gr
avg capacity 51.39gr

ADG .53gr 1.5gr .51gr 1.44gr
avg case 169.27gr
avg capacity 50.28gr

Last edited:
Starline is the best I have used. Weight variances have been small. I agree the Hornady weights are all over the place in my experience.

Havent used Lapua however. I do prefer the small primer, to me it keeps primer pockets tighter longer.

I have hornady brass from their American gunner ammo. Weight were all over the place. Terrible. Brass weight es on 10 pieces was 6gr
Brass from the hornady match ammo, I weighed 50 pieces before getting bored were within 1gr of weight on all 50.

The match ammo was different lots. Some were old amax ammo some were newer eldm ammo. All weighs the same

I have hornady brass from their American gunner ammo. Weight were all over the place. Terrible. Brass weight es on 10 pieces was 6gr
Brass from the hornady match ammo, I weighed 50 pieces before getting bored were within 1gr of weight on all 50.

The match ammo was different lots. Some were old amax ammo some were newer eldm ammo. All weighs the same

I have multiple lots of match hornady brass and it's all over the place lot to lot. Within a lot it's fine.

I have multiple lots of match hornady brass and it's all over the place lot to lot. Within a lot it's fine.

So I got lucky with about 150 pieces of brass. I'm pretty disappointed in the brass from the American gunner ammo. It was one lot. I annealed it, trying to improve the consistency, it didn't even get that nice blue colour that brass usually does. Should've just bought lapua brass from the start, but it was just becoming available and I didn't want to wait

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.