Hornady .277 145 grain ELDX?

Muddyboots

Anybody have some experience with this bullet in .270WIN? Accuracy? Powder preference? I just picked box up and trying IMR4831 but was curious if anyone has had success.

Can this be moved to reloading forum? I was scrolling through and too fast in posting up and landed in wrong forum.

I plan on testing it in a 270 with RL26. I have read very good things about RL26 and 150 grain bullets in the 270 win. I figure its worth giving it a shot with the 145 ELD'X.

Sorry I don't have any actual data.

Muddy, tried them in a Tikka with H4831SC with less than stellar results. I next went with 140gr Hornady SST with H4831SC and they shot awesome.

I used h4831 and 145s and I has getting 4 shot groups under half inch group at 100 yards. 56.5 grains just off the lands
Knocked down a cow elk my muley buck and antelope all within ten yards of where they stood last year

I got great results with reloader 26 and 140 gr. Berger classic hunters. Just over 3200fps from a 26" barrel. My best accuracy is around 3140 fps.
I'd give rl 26 a try.

I was actually hoping Hornady would come out with a heavier ELD-X so I could give it a try in my .270 Allen Mag. I think the 145gn would be great in a longer tubed .270 Win or WSM, say 26-28", and would make a great LR deer swatter.
Not sure how hard/soft the ELD's are. With my 30" barrel I can easily push 140-150 class pills to 3700fps. Kirby does have some recommendations when it comes to bullets for his creations. Right now I'm running 170gn Bergers at 3300fps with a very mild load of US-869 (93.0gn), but according to load data I've gotten from others, I can go close to 101gn with this bullet. Can't fathom what kinda speed I'd get with that much fuel!! :)

My goto load for the 270 has been 60.0H4831 215 win brass 130 solid base ballistic tip. I get 3180ish haven't chronoed it in a long time.130 gmk same load shoots .2 or better but the bt's are just so devastating I can't give them up. I tried a few different 150 loads and never was satisfied and the 140's just didn't have the effect with H4831.
Fast forward to RL26. what my goto load would do with the 130 RL26 will do with the 150 class of bullets. I did a ladder with 150 interbonds. I got 3165 without any pressure. I plan to run the berger 150's and the 140 game changers fairly soon. I know both of these are going to shoot well. just need a week of range time to get it done.

I ran h4831sc near listed max 59.x and used the 3.21 coal. It was a stout load to shoot. I was pushing the 145s slightly under 3k. This load took 2 hits at 1100 yrds without misses. Very accurate load.

This was easy load to tune in my rifle. Every rifle is different. please use proper loading precautions and work up.

Last edited:
I was actually hoping Hornady would come out with a heavier ELD-X so I could give it a try in my .270 Allen Mag. I think the 145gn would be great in a longer tubed .270 Win or WSM, say 26-28", and would make a great LR deer swatter.
Not sure how hard/soft the ELD's are. With my 30" barrel I can easily push 140-150 class pills to 3700fps. Kirby does have some recommendations when it comes to bullets for his creations. Right now I'm running 170gn Bergers at 3300fps with a very mild load of US-869 (93.0gn), but according to load data I've gotten from others, I can go close to 101gn with this bullet. Can't fathom what kinda speed I'd get with that much fuel!! :)
Unfortunately with only the cannelure and no bonding high velocity impacts really tend to shell them out.

My experience shows that the bullets just don't hold together well above 2000fps.

They have a pretty thin, soft jacket too that adds to the bullet breakup.

Fortunately if you hit the target with enough energy they tend to penetrate well into the vitals before turning into little bombs similar to the Nosler NBT but fly a whole lot better.

Can't help with the 270 as I've only shot them in the .260's STW's, wm's and Rum's but I had similar results with all.

For powders look hard at RL23 and RL26. If RL26 will work for you at all you should love it.

Overall though you might be happier with the Nosler ABLR's. They too fly very well and with the bonding even at high velocity they stick together and will almost always give you a clean exit without penciling through or leaving a hole you can toss a volley ball through.

I fine tuned a load today with RL26 and the 130 sst. I had run upto 61 grains in ww brass 215 and the 130sst. I didn't get the velocity I expected and went to Federal brass. Knowing it has a bit less volume I went from 61.2-62 in .2 increments. I also went to 91/2M primers. The velocities went like this 61.2 3141fps, 61.4 3139fps, 61.6 3144 61.8 3147fps and 62 3155.. The 62 had a bit of a crater in the primer no swipe but pretty flat. I decided that is just out of the node so I kept the MS on and shot a group @ 300yds. The 3 left went 3154 3155 3161fps. 2 touching and 1 about 1 1/2 " low It was that faster shot that was low. I shot the others on the same paper target without the MS. There is about a 1.5moa downward shift on/off. It was hard to determine the size of the 61.2 because it was 1 on and 2 off the target. Looked about 1 1/2" wide and 1" of vertical. Next up the 61.4 Not much vertical about 1/2 but the wind switched from the last group and over the 5 minutes it took went from 1-3 from 6 o'clock to 5-7mph 11-2 oclock. I spread them out about 2.5" my bad I didnt hold any wind. I shot the 61.6 on paper and it started to shoot lower than the previous 2 even with the 1.5moa of up I dialed in after the first group. I put the MS back on for the 61.8 and decided to shoot the steel plate. I had 3141 3143 3141 for those 3 shots. My impact was about 1moa below my point of aim after taking the 1.5 moa out of the scope. I wish I took a picture because I could cover it with a quarter with ease. With the rain snow mix starting I had to change the target backer out for the rifle team and didn't want to get caught.
I've had extremely good success with RL 26 in the 6.5creed with es. It looks like in the 270 it will continue. The first ladder with the winchester brass showed a node @ 2900fps but I wanted more speed. My coal is way long with the boatail/ogive above the neck shoulder junction. about .025 with this bullet. 3.35 or 3.36coal. I forgot to reset my sizer from the 140gamechanger setting.
I did the first ladder test with .5 grain increases to get a rough idea where this would shoot. Last year I did a ladder with both 140's and 150's with a slightly faster lot of powder. This is why the first in winny brass didn't get to speed I believe.
Good luck and be safe. This is what worked in my rifle yours may have a shorter throat tighter bore etc Back off to 59 grains and work up. That will run in any sammi chamber well within safe operating pressure

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.