Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

I would not hesitate to use a 168 grain a-max on deer. I would make sure that your shot placement does not hit shoulder bone. I do the same sort of thing with 155 grain berger vld's out of my 300 win mag. I have shot 2 antelope with them and they dropped in their tracks. One was a perfect shot behind the vitals and the other was a front on chest shot. When I opened them up the lungs and heart were just soup. Had no meat damage whatsoever. I guarantee if you want limited expansion and maximum transferred energy that A-max will do great. if the bullet goes into the boiler room.

I got a good deal on a 300 wby, and tried my usual 210 bergers that I use in my 300 win. Bergers did not work so well for me out of the weatherby. Figured I'd try the 208 AMAX and they shot far better. (still a berger fan) Shot a whitetail at 450 yds this year and it went straight down. Major internal damage. I don't think I would hesitate shooting deer out to 600 with them. I think the farther you shoot with them, they would probably be less expansion as the velocity slowed down. Just a thought, I might be way off on my thinking.:D

I got a good deal on a 300 wby, and tried my usual 210 bergers that I use in my 300 win. Bergers did not work so well for me out of the weatherby. Figured I'd try the 208 AMAX and they shot far better. (still a berger fan) Shot a whitetail at 450 yds this year and it went straight down. Major internal damage. I don't think I would hesitate shooting deer out to 600 with them. I think the farther you shoot with them, they would probably be less expansion as the velocity slowed down. Just a thought, I might be way off on my thinking.:D

I've heard before that these things are super accurate, which is a major plus. Sounds like your experience is another success for the AMAXs! I'm really considering trying some out on whitetail at long range next season after my rifle is completely built and I have good loads for the 208 grainer. What were your velocities with the 208 AMAX out of that .300 WBY, if you don't mind me asking. Both my Dad and Uncle are huge .300 WBY fans and if they ever consider trying these out I can have some more info to give them about the 208's performance in the .300 Weatherby. Thanks.

I've heard before that these things are super accurate, which is a major plus. Sounds like your experience is another success for the AMAXs! I'm really considering trying some out on whitetail at long range next season after my rifle is completely built and I have good loads for the 208 grainer. What were your velocities with the 208 AMAX out of that .300 WBY, if you don't mind me asking. Both my Dad and Uncle are huge .300 WBY fans and if they ever consider trying these out I can have some more info to give them about the 208's performance in the .300 Weatherby. Thanks.
I was using 82grs of H1000 and getting 2960. Any faster than that and I could not get a good group. I do think the wby freebore had alot to do with it. I could not get 210 bergers to shoot well at all. I actually have a 28 inch barrel on order and going to put it on the Howa action.

Ok thanks! I'm using a 28" barrel on my .308 Norma and hope to reach around 2950 FPS with a stout charge of IMR 4831 with the 208gr AMAXs.

Well now that I know the A-MAXs work, anyone know where to find them so I can order them online? None of the sporting goods places around here don't have any and don't carry them. Thanks

I have had good success with the 140's in my 6.5 Sherman as has my partner. I would second what Michael Eichele said though; stay away from heavy animals especially at close range. The A-max will expand at very low velocity which makes it a good "long range bullet" or closer to intermediate range on deer sized game especially in a lower velocity rifle.......Rich

I killed several hogs and deer this year with the 208 amax from my 300 win mag at 2900 FPS. From 100 yds to a little over 500 on a couple hogs. All were DRT.

As far as where to get them, I have good luck backordering them from MidwayUSA and then having them shipped to me when they come in. I just yesterday approved a backorder of them for 5 boxes. (100 count per box).

We've tested the 208 AMAX across a range of velocities in gelatin.

It is our preferred load in .300 Win Mag.

We have not shot anything heavily boned yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt bull elk or black bear with it. That much lead with that high a sectional density is going to reach the vitals from any angle other than 6 O'Clock.

The 208 is a different deal from the 168 or even the 140 grain 6.5 mm. The older generations understood that one could make up for a fragile bullet design with enough mass and sectional density, and the passage of time has not changed this truth.

I think the 208 AMAX offers equal or better terminal performance to the 220 Hornady round nose at any equivalent target and impact velocity.

Michael.....that is an interesting observation with the round nose which isn't often talked about on this forum but was used extensively as a big game load years ago. I agree that the round nose was probably every bit as explosive with equal velocities. That big'ol exposed lead area didn't take much to mushroom. Here is a "real life" example: when I was a young fellow in Mi., my dad used a Rem 721 '06 with Rem corelokt bullets. He killed LOTS of deer which often ran 100 yards or more at 60 mph before they crashed! These corelokts have killed a lot of game, don't get me wrong, but they were a bit too heavily constructed for white tails IMO. I loaded him up some 150 hornady round nose bullets at about 3000'. He never shot anything much more than 100 yards. The first deer he shot with one, he came back to me and said " I think there was something wrong with those bullets you loaded"! When I asked him why he said, "well I shot this buck and for the first time ever, the bullet didn't exit". I said "where did the deer go dad"? I will never forget the look on his face when he said "DOWN"! I rest my case:D......Rich

We've tested the 208 AMAX across a range of velocities in gelatin.

It is our preferred load in .300 Win Mag.

We have not shot anything heavily boned yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt bull elk or black bear with it. That much lead with that high a sectional density is going to reach the vitals from any angle other than 6 O'Clock.

The 208 is a different deal from the 168 or even the 140 grain 6.5 mm. The older generations understood that one could make up for a fragile bullet design with enough mass and sectional density, and the passage of time has not changed this truth.

I think the 208 AMAX offers equal or better terminal performance to the 220 Hornady round nose at any equivalent target and impact velocity.

Wow! Thank you so much for this info! This is exactly the kind of information I need. Do you happen to have any pics of the gelatin that you shot with the A-MAXs? Also what kind of damage did this bullet do to bull elk? One last question, do you prefer to shoot animals straight on the shoulder or behind it? I've heard people say they like shoulder hits and others that said behind the shoulder. Thanks again!

Michael.....that is an interesting observation with the round nose which isn't often talked about on this forum but was used extensively as a big game load years ago. I agree that the round nose was probably every bit as explosive with equal velocities. That big'ol exposed lead area didn't take much to mushroom. Here is a "real life" example: when I was a young fellow in Mi., my dad used a Rem 721 '06 with Rem corelokt bullets. He killed LOTS of deer which often ran 100 yards or more at 60 mph before they crashed! These corelokts have killed a lot of game, don't get me wrong, but they were a bit too heavily constructed for white tails IMO. I loaded him up some 150 hornady round nose bullets at about 3000'. He never shot anything much more than 100 yards. The first deer he shot with one, he came back to me and said " I think there was something wrong with those bullets you loaded"! When I asked him why he said, "well I shot this buck and for the first time ever, the bullet didn't exit". I said "where did the deer go dad"? I will never forget the look on his face when he said "DOWN"! I rest my case:D......Rich

Haha I bet he never changed loads either after you loaded those slugs up! My buddy still shoots 150gr Core Lokts in his '06 for whitetail and he drops them every time or they run dead for a max of 50yds. He does all of his shooting under 100yds though and I'm getting him turned on to long range shooting and hopefully will get him set up with his own rig soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.