Hornady 150 SST Superperformance

Blkz06

I tried this round in my custom built .308, and it seemed to really like it.

Chrono'ed at 2990 or so, with a high of 3012 fps and a low of 2985 fps across 2 boxes of shells.

So, the question is...can I handload a 150 bullet and get similar performance without worrying about over pressure or other issues?

What is the secret that Hornady is using to get 3000 FPS out of a 150 bullet?

Thanks!

Its magic pixy dust. Lol. It seems rare that you can duplicate with the hornady superformance powder they supply to reloaders. But you can get close.

What's your barrel length? You won't be able to achieve those velocities but 2900fps should be easily achievable. Looks like IMR 4064, IMR 4320, and Varget will be your best choices.

What's your barrel length? You won't be able to achieve those velocities but 2900fps should be easily achievable. Looks like IMR 4064, IMR 4320, and Varget will be your best choices.

I'm running a 24" 11.25 twist barrel.

I tried this round in my custom built .308, and it seemed to really like it.

Chrono'ed at 2990 or so, with a high of 3012 fps and a low of 2985 fps across 2 boxes of shells.

So, the question is...can I handload a 150 bullet and get similar performance without worrying about over pressure or other issues?

What is the secret that Hornady is using to get 3000 FPS out of a 150 bullet?

Thanks!

If I were trying to duplicate their load I would first pull a bullet from their round and measure the powder weight. Then check load data for SF powder and compare the weight to see if you can safely load that weight in your handload. Still I would work up to that load to be on the safe side. It is my understanding that the SF you can buy is not the same as factory loads. This would make sense as they blend powders at the factories producing their loads. I can't say how SF will work in your .308 but it will work very well in the .260 Rem. Great accuracy and speed as well. Some people may be a little negative toward SF as I found out a while back. I am a little hard headed when people say why do you want to try this instead of what already works in theirs. I say why not. If you want SF loads, go for it. I did in spite of what others said. Now I still get PM's about my testing it in the .260 by others who want to try it. By the way, the Tula primer works very well with SF. Good luck in you quest and post your results please as I have been thinking about SF and my .308's as well.
SEMPER FI .................. SARGESNIPER

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.