Homemade truck vault

TheFishBox

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has built a truck vault type of storage unit for the bed of your truck. I like the idea of the truck vault but I'm not gonna pay a couple grand for one. The main reason I want to build something is so I can store multiple guns locked up out of sight in the bed of my truck. Where I hunt you can't always use the long range gun but I hate leaving it in its case in the back seat covered up with clothes. I want to be able to store four scoped guns in sliding boxes. But also be able to slide coolers in my truck while maintaining enough space to use space above it as sleeping space. Sorry for the long winded post but if you have some sort of storage device in your truck bed please post pictures of it in use and a description of how you built it.

Best recommendation I can offer is don't leave rifles anywhere you can't be in direct control of them.
Crooks get more sophisticated every year. Some of them have taken to using these with a cutting wheel:

DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 4-1/2 in. Cordless Grinder (Tool-Only)-DCG412B - The Home Depot

If they can't cut the locks/latches they'll crawl under your truck and cut off the bolts that hold the vault to the bed or just cut holes inthe bed with the bolts in place.

I know that you can't stop a dedicated thief. I am going for more of the out of sight out of mind.

I made a finished sheet of ply into a duplicate of my truck cargo area. I attached 3 lifter boards, one on each side and one in the middle. This created a 5.5" space below the ply which could not be seen. Cased rifles could easily be slid into the space and were secured by the locked hatch.

I actually did this so that my dog had plenty of space without lying all over my guns and equipment. It was very difficult to see the change unless the back was open. It was easily removable when I needed more cargo room.

Simple, inexpensive and it worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.