Homemade P-Mag! (pics)

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Predator Strikeforce, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Predator Strikeforce

Predator Strikeforce Member

I wanted a shorter, lighter mag for my Specialized Dynamics .260 Remington for an upcoming wolf hunt, range use or shooting from prone position. Since no one makes a short polymer mag for the DPMS LR .308, I decided to make one.
    I started with a standard Magpul P-Mag LR 20 for the DPMS and cut two inches off the bottom with a stardard cut-off wheel. Then I cut two coils off the spring. All I had left to do was drill some 1/8th" holes and rivet the base plate back on. I finished by painting the rivets flat black to match. The whole project took about 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Voila! Now it's a full two inches shorter and still holds 12 rounds. It's the perfect size for long hikes and benchrest work. Magpul should offer these. Hint, hint!

2. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I can understand why you don't want to use the ones that come with the rifle, the 10 rounders I've had were pieces of crap. They would hold rounds but didn't like to feed them. I replaced them with some 10 rounders from Knight's Armament and no failures.

3. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

Pretty nifty.I like the paint job too. Who did it? Can you post a pic of the rifle?

Thanks

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Good job coming up with a fix to your problem. I'm just a little unclear on the reason? You wanted a shorter mag, Or Pmags don't fit in DPMS lowers and you modified the mag to fit in the receiver?
    http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=27_68

5. Predator Strikeforce

Predator Strikeforce Member

I wanted a shorter mag for shooting prone or from a bench. I hadn't heard about MidwestPX until now. Oh well, mine is still an inch shorter than theirs and I saved $12. No big deal really.

My rifle was camoed by Hydro-dip.com in Idaho. They do amazing work. Here's some specs and pics on the gun. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/my-long-range-260-pics-89449/