Homemade shooting sticks

slim09

I am going to be making a pair of tripod shooting sticks this weekend. So i figured i would see if any of you guys have done the same? I will post pics Monday of how my turned out. Anyone have pics of your homemade shooting sticks?

Yes, I have a homemade tripod that I made a few years ago. All you need is (3) 5/8's wooden dowel's that are 36" long, 4-5 postal size rubber bands and some electrical tape. I simply put the rubber bands about 5" from one end of the (3) dowel's then wrap electrical tape around the bands about 6 times . Perfect for shots while sitting or kneeling.

As a matter of fact I have these high tech sticks loaded with my gear to head to WY tomorrow.:D

I'm anxious to see your pics Kyle - please post 'em up when you've get 'em together!

I've thought about making a set myself when i'm able to get shooting again. As i read Jimbo's post i thought about how the wood dowels are probably quite steady and light weight too, but packability may not be as convenient...

So, i thought about a way to shorten the sticks for packability and 'viola - i had an idea!!! Since i'm also in photography and use a couple tripods - all of which have collapsible legs - why not cannibalize an 'el-cheapo' tripod for its legs? It would be very easy to remove the legs from center post/mount lug and i'd have 3 very lightweight, stable, collapsible legs with "grippy" feet.

Simply work out how to connect them at the top and instant shooting sticks!!!! Since a cheapo tripod can be had (or found in many people's closet not getting any use) for $20 and under, it's a low-budget project with possible big pay-off.

WalMart has a collapsable shooting stick, or at least the one in Harrisonburg, Va. does. They are $9.97 and extend from 21" to 60", which is perfect for the shooting that I encounter while walking and while sitting. I bought two, one that I originally purchased for me, which my wife found out worked great for her camera and photography and wanted. Of course then another to replace the original. It's made by Allen, I think, and comes with a screw-on V-rest and grometed wrist strap. It is strudy enough for my 11-13lbs rifles. JohnnyK.

I like the idea Fmmajor had, i am going to make two pair now. I will make one using and old cheap camera tripod and make an attachment for the part that screws onto the camera, instead of screwing onto a camera i will take a piece of C-beam drill that out and tap it for the standard 1/4-20 thread and put some foam on the side my gun would rest and then i believe i will have a tripod that could be used for cameras, guns, etc. It make sense in my head i don't know if i explained it very good, but i will post pics Monday.

Depending on the height of the sticks, you can use aluminium arrow shafts, tent poles etc.

Tie them with 550 cord of para cord.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.