Home Grown--NY

philny1

Been a slow deer season. First three days were ideal conditions, around 30 degrees with a couple inches of snow. Doesn't get any better than that. Warmed up for a few day then another cold snap.
Been seeing enough deer I guess eight small bucks opening day, no shooters.
Eight pt with extras. 22½" inside spread.
Got him at 1:10 Sat day eight of our gun season out of what I call my opening day tree stand. Planned on quitting at 1:00, a cold day--9 degrees this morning, saw some deer and decided to stick it out for another ½ hour. Had a big buck get across one of my shooting lanes, just didn't have time to get a shot at em. A few minutes later a doe appeared, she stood looking down where that big buck went. He was probably standing there, just out of my sight. Then she looked behind her and out came her fawn. Believe the fawn was in heat, this guy was right behind her. Was using my 06, took my shot at 125 yds. Hit in the rt shoulder he went right down. Al this happened in an instant, gathering my gear for the climb down I was thinking that this buck couldn't be as big as I thought he was. Anyhow instead of ground shrinkage he was bigger.
Just got back from the taxidermist, hes goin on the wall.
DSC00160.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

Nice Harvast. Seems like the season is turning out well for alot of people.

Mike

Well, you aren't going to win the smallest buck contest with that one.

I wish I had a nice green tree stand so I could just park it in the apple orchard and drive right up and get them.:D

Awesome buck Phil! There seems to be an abundance of monster 8s this year. Congratulations!

Can't believe your gonna mount that little fella.........................;)

Brian

I have to admit those front buckets do come in handy, here is how I hauled my bull out this season, he was just alittle to big for putting in the bucket but its about the same LOL

171828-R1-02-14_003.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations buddy..

I didn't see him in your yard a few weeks ago.

Your smokin' this year, don't quit now... I'm sure I can come up with a few tags somewhere.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.