Home built shooting table

JackRabbitSquare

Well my roommate and I decided that we needed a bench to shoot from. We wanted a portable unit that would be stable enough to shoot long distances but also allow the shooter to track squirrels. So we got to thinking and here is what we came up with.

Here it is while we mock up the position of the top and the seat.
table1.jpg

Here is the finished result. All in all there is around 150 lbs of steel there along with the .5" plywood top. The top is bolted to an identical piece of 1/8" plate witch is bolted to the top. The center is 2.5x3/8 wall schedule 80 pipe. The base, seat and top slide over the center pipe and are welded/bolted to 3x1/2 wall schedule 80 pipe. The legs are 2x2x1/4 wall square tube that slide into 2.5x2.5x1/4 wall.

table4.jpg

The seat and the top are fixable by two 5/8" bolts that have nuts welded into the pipe. The whole table is extremely strong and sturdy; of course it ain't getting packed very far.

We need to lacquer the tabletop, bolt on a seat, paint the steel and try it out. Anyway I figured I would see what you guys think.

Been thinking of this exact idea! But I think sch 40 pipe would have been heavy enough! Maybe made the top a little heavier, but, hey, nice anyway! I got a piece of 3" that is just waiting for this exact kinda love! You guys fitters?

FetchImageJPG.asp
If this works this is a table I have been using with good succes out to about 625 meters, it also works good on gophers as it rotates to stop charges in any direction.Have to put a pad under bipod legs though or else groups suffer.

Yup... Jeeps! Seems they alway have the same appearance, hood open & not running.
smile.gif
But it's the best use I've come across for one... canibalize it for shooting bench parts...

Hey! How about a shooting bench that plugs into the trailer hitch (front or rear)...let the vehicle do ALL the work?

Haha, I use that same phase when talking about Fords
wink.gif
. Actually the jeeps have the hoods up because we are using them for welding. Both jeeps have an on-board welder but mine was almost out of gas.

Humm, put the bench on the jeep = mobile shooting platform? I would have to have my spotter drive in reverse all the time = Long range shooting while moving?
grin.gif

Actually I was thinking about having the shooting bench on the back of the rig but since they are lifted it might be kindava trick. The jeeps are pretty flexy so I didn't think they would ever stop bouncing around enough to shoot from. Also you have the rig in your way and you might not see that squirrel sneaking up behind you to avenge his buddies.

Pennell hey that bench looks good. You might want to put threaded adjustments on the legs to balance it!!! I too was thinking as to the PVC thing but I was thinking about Schedule 80. We use this stuff at work and man is it stiff!!! I just have to find where I can buy a small quantity from a private dealer.

PVC??? I think I forgot to mention that this is Schedual 80 metal/mild steel Pipe. Stuff weighs a ton. I didn't think about using PVC but if you had thick enough walls you could probably use it.

Thunder Hunter

I don't like my bipod legs to sit on hard surfaces either. I pad under the legs in it's an artificial surface, flat and hard like wood or steel.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.