Hollywood Press

ofdscooby

I have a Hollywood Press it was loaned to me by a family friend to get me into reloading. He also loaned me a ton of other stuff that went with it scales dies and all the trimmings. I have replaced everything except the press. There is no hurry to get the press back and I can have it as long as I want but do I need to replace it it seems like a great press but I just dont know its the only one I've ever used.

I agree with puggy but my order is different with an addition.

Lee Classic Cast
Redding
Forster
Rockchucker
Hornady

Thanks for the response but my main question was is te press I'm using any good. This press hasn't been made for along time it's very stout but I don't know it's reputation. It's either amazingly overbuilt an great or it's junk it's so old I can't fin any info on it and woul probably take a seasoned veteran o reloading to even recognize it. The press has a turret style top that can be unlocked and rotated for use with a set of dies for shotgun shells these oversized shotgun dies are also the same size dies that the .50 cal would use so I can load just about every shell out there with it.

Hollywood presses are not junk. They command a premium price as long as they are not rusted out.

I love mine. I've got the turret model, lots of rounds loaded. Enough space to load as long a cartridge as you want, with plenty of finger room left.

Which model do you have? A picture might generate some comment specific to your situation.

I agree rust is their biggest enemy.

There are some good presses currently available, I would not hold up my reloading waiting for a Hollywood to become available.

The old Holywood presses were quite good in their day and they're just as good today as they ever were. They were costly to build and they still would be. What changed was the strength and ease of use from competors's presses. If you can keep your borrowed press, do so. If you really want to replace it any mid-range modern press will do equally well.

Loud personal preferences aside, there is precious little difference in performance between presses from Lee's Classic Cast to a Redding Big Boss and everything in between; if they look the same they will work the same and last just as long so pick a color and price you like. Exceptions are the very costly Forster CoAx and Redding Ultramag but even they only add some specific user features that really aren't needed and don't appeal to very many people.

Thanks Boomtube that's what I was looking for. The Hollywood press I'm using is in great condition a little surface rust on the handle and turret but the barrel in the middle is smoothe and shiny. If you did a search on Google for Hollywood press it's a spittin image o the first pic. Ill at least use it through the holidays and maybe buy something this spring or just wait till a good deal pops up.

If you have a Hollywood turret those are worth some bucks. The Hollywood Senior is their single stage version. Another excellent press. Ask your buddy if you can buy it from him.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.