Press?

jsthntn247

Thinking about buying this press. It was bought when an older fellow sold all of his reloading gear to a guy in town. It is pictured next to a newer model rock chucker in this picture. Fellow wants 75 bucks for it. Looks like it's built like a tank.
press.jpg

Thinking about buying this press. It was bought when an older fellow sold all of his reloading gear to a guy in town. It is pictured next to a newer model rock chucker in this picture. Fellow wants 75 bucks for it. Looks like it's built like a tank.
press.jpg

Great press...I have one sitting under my bench. I have been using a RS5 for many..many years...loading up to 300RUM's. I even sold another one just like the extra one I have about 15 years ago for 50 bucks. I would not pay 75 for it, but would offer 50. If you don't have one you won't get one that quality for 75. It's used reloading equipment talk em down.

Don't get taken in by the green brand hype, ALL iron presses are built like tanks. There are no real individual advantages to any presses in the same class; if they look alike they will work alike. Press variations are in small features like how effectively does it catch spent primers, how tall is the cartridge opening, diameter of the ram, is the lever adjustable, etc.

I agree $75 is a bit more than I would pay for it, that's getting too close to the cost of a new Lee Classic Cast (which is the better press). If the CC had been available when I bought my Rock Chucker II my main press would be red.

I do love my old rockchucker. But I agree with boomtube. Lee has a better press now. $50 would be a better price.

For $75.....dont let it get out of your reach.

As far as $75 being too close to the price of a new LEE Classic....thats actually laughable. They arent even in the same league let along same ballgame forgetting the price

"As far as $75 being too close to the price of a new LEE Classic....thats actually laughable. They arent even in the same league let along same ballgame forgetting the price "

Actually, I agree. My young friend's Classic Cast is so much better than my RC II that it's laffable to think of buying anything else!

His spent primer catcher actually works to keeps his floor and ram clean and free of primer cups/grit; his frame is strong enough for some jacketed bullet swagers; his lever is fully adjustable for side, length and angle to match the users desires; his ram has a larger, longer wearing, diameter; his was precisely bored/machined on CNC tooling; his takes cases up to .50 BMG with ease. My "wonderful" old RC? None of that! :cool:

The fact that the CC is also less costly is merely a small side benefit to those who haven't been hurt by the current administration and still have lots of spare cash but multi-dollar savings DO matter to the rest of us! :D

I wouldnt swap 1 brand new RockChucker for 10 of any of the Lee presses. And although I think ALL of RCBS's stuff is too high priced...there are other brands I would buy on todays market...but Lee sure isnt one of them,

All brand loyalty and tire-kicking aside... $75 is a decent price if you want it, if you're only buying to get a deal, $50 would be better... I have the same one and it works great, I also have a newer RCBS RCII.

No offense to Lee, as I'm sure they make a great press, but if I bought a new press I'd probably still be going green... Redding lol :D.

All brand loyalty and tire-kicking aside... $75 is a decent price if you want it, if you're only buying to get a deal, $50 would be better... I have the same one and it works great, I also have a newer RCBS RCII.

No offense to Lee, as I'm sure they make a great press, but if I bought a new press I'd probably still be going green... Redding lol :D.

Redding makes some top notch stuff too. If I had a need for another press...I certainly would take a long look at them
Hornady makes some that dont look too bad either

No brand has a lock on performance across the board. I've been reloading since '65, have owned and used quite a few presses of different models and makers (dies too) so I actually know what I'm talking about. Brand loyalty (or avoidance) demands an emotional commitment to an inanimate object that isn't justified by the facts. As a noob I had absolute personal "assurance" that my brand was 'best' because 'it works for me' and knew what all the gun store gurus said ... but I eventually learned better and grew out of it. I only recommend specific tools that have demonstrated not just acceptable performance but exceptional performance; I don't have a Lee Classic Cast so brand loyalty has nothing to do with what I said.

I listed the specific reasons I feel the CC offers great performance for its type but I NEVER see any valid attempts to do that with 'Chuckers, which I do know about since one has been my primary press since '87. My RC is certainly a mechanically sound and servicable press but it has several shortcomings I can recognise and it sure isn't exceptional for it's class, not in any way. I won't toss it out but IF I had to replace it next week the CC is what I'd get.

Been using the same press for 34 years now, and it's just as good as the day I took it out of the box. I expect my Grandsons to be using it. It's painted red
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.