Hogue stocks, full length v/s pillar

TAWS

I need to put my Rem. S/A 700 in a .223 in a new stock and want to use a Hogue. Is the full length bedding block model really any better than the pillar bed one?

Thanks TAWS

Went to the range with my buddy and he used his rem 700 AAC .308 with the 20inch threaded barrel. It had the hogue stock. His rifle was grouping right around 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards depending on ammo (3 shot groups with all being 168 grain FMJ, assorted premium ammo, and two different handloads). He was shooting off of a bipod. I think the stock was flexing and touching the barrel. When I gripped the Forend I could squeeze it and feel it flex. I do not know if that model has the pillar or the full length aluminum block. I had the same model that I bought from a member on the forum that was torqued to proper specs and the barrel was floated in a BC stock. Everything else was the same minus the stock. My rifle would group between .75 (average) with the best group being .25 with hand loads. It was also shot off of a bipod. I hope I helped with my experience. Good luck with your stock search.

I hope I did not make a mistake as I ordered the pillar bed model from Midway. Thanks for the info.

TAWS

I've got the pillar bedded stock, and have glass bedded it,as well as removed material to increase the gap between barrel and stock. I regularly shoot .5MOA with it.

I have worked with both. The pillar bedded one was on a Ruger All Weather 25-06AI. Just bolted it on. It rode hard in the rubber and always shot great just like it did in the All Weather canoe paddle stock. That rifle hurt the feelings of more than a few custom rifle owners. The other is the full length chassis on a Rem 700 in 264 Win mag. It shoots the same as it did in the bedded wood stock. Not very good. I am rebarreling it to 26 Nosler if we ever get the Bartlein for it. I hope it shoots better than it did before. The owner really likes this stock.

I guess my point is either can work just fine but they go against how I think a stock should fit and work.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.