Hogdon US869

ru1234

Anyone have any experience with this powder? Just spoke to Hogdon who said they had excellent results in the 30-378.

I just went through my first lot change w/869. I was a little befuddled at first but then just worked up a different load.

I use it in a 338 RUM w/300 SMKs and get 2700+ fps and great accuracy.

I also use it with the 270 AM and 169/196 grain bullets and get great accuracy and velocity.

I'm even going to try it in a 270 Win w/150 and 169gr bullets.

I have no complaints, after I got through the lot change, but that was a personal foot in mouth thing.....

Here ya go. Hope this helps.

338 RUM-300 SMK
Fed 215 GM Primers
Base to Tip COL = 3.818~ - I shoot single shot.
Base to Ogive = 3.017
101 gr US 869 - Depending on pwdr lot. Start low and work up.
100% Load Density.
Velocity = 2733 ES = 1 SD = Zilch

Re: Hogdon US869 + Temp Sensitivity info

Bill, Rem 700 Sporter bbl - 26" length + Holland

Above 2733 FPS MV was at around 45*F with rifle and cartridges fully acclimated.

Same load @ 17* F 3 shot average = 2660(2647/2647/2686) a 72 FPS drop

Another shot that spent about 1/2 the time out in the cold went 2695

270 AM under same conditions dropped from 3276 to 3236 or 40 FPS.

FWIW

anyone remember the ad from hodgdon right before this stuff came out? they gave the speeds of 2 or 3 rifles with a 60 or 80 degree difference and the speeds were literally the same. i wonder if the advertising department had anything to do with it? not saying it's bad, i'm planning on trying it in my little puppy.if Roy's using it, it must be good!

I have been unable to find US 869 or Retumbo within a 100 mile radius to see how it performe. I did score 2# of Retumbo from Scheels in Lincoln a few months ago but that's all they had. Anyone around here I have asked for either I get the deer in the headlights look.
I am hoping Bill Baily will have some available when I get down that way in January but have not discussed it with him as I am not 100% sure I will make it by his shop.

We have plenty of both. If you can't make it by and still want some just let me know the dates you will be in Anadarko. I can drop some by w/my dad in Gracemont and you can just pick it up there.

I have used this in my Accumark 7STW with the 200 grain Wildcats. It gave excellent velocity (3000+) with very little deviation. My rifle however would not stabilize that bullet. It seems to work well with heavy bullets and large cases FWIW.

[ QUOTE ]
We have plenty of both. If you can't make it by and still want some just let me know the dates you will be in Anadarko. I can drop some by w/my dad in Gracemont and you can just pick it up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bill can't get better service than that.
Since I now know you have them available I will put more effort into stopping by.
Current plans are 12th thru the 14th I imagine you are closed Sunday so will try to stop by Fri. or Sat.

[ QUOTE ]
Current plans are 12th thru the 14th I imagine you are closed Sunday so will try to stop by Fri. or Sat

[/ QUOTE ]

It will have to be Friday since we are not open on Saturdays. Just let me know if you want some and maybe we can work something out even if you can't get by.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.