Hog Saddle

I wouldn't leave it at unattended sitting up there in any kind of eind but otherwise it's plenty stable. When I shoot o don't always use the rest support. You can really get stable by resting your elbows on your knees with the rear leg coming straight back. Good enough for me out to 600 ysrds or so which is my personal max with the equipment I use.

That is the largest and prettiest bear I have ever seen. I had hiked down in to that bowl with that pond to filter water. Was around 75 degrees out, just drank a ton of water and the sun was shining. I dozed off for a little catnap. Literally within minutes of waking up I hear a sound like a Lab shaking its head and think what the hell was that. Next I hear a big "gadussssh" as he dove in to the pond. He was about 75 yards away and had no idea I was there. Thankfully I woke up when I did and he decided to enter the pond from that side and not where I was laying out in the sun.

I wouldn't leave it at unattended sitting up there in any kind of eind but otherwise it's plenty stable. When I shoot o don't always use the rest support. You can really get stable by resting your elbows on your knees with the rear leg coming straight back. Good enough for me out to 600 ysrds or so which is my personal max with the equipment I use.

That is the largest and prettiest bear I have ever seen. I had hiked down in to that bowl with that pond to filter water. Was around 75 degrees out, just drank a ton of water and the sun was shining. I dozed off for a little catnap. Literally within minutes of waking up I hear a sound like a Lab shaking its head and think what the hell was that. Next I hear a big "gadussssh" as he dove in to the pond. He was about 75 yards away and had no idea I was there. Thankfully I woke up when I did and he decided to enter the pond from that side and not where I was laying out in the sun.
That's funny and will sure make you think about taking a nap in the woods in the future won't it?

I had a similar encounter with one near Cloudcroft, NM circa 1977-78 at a boy scout camp.

I've seen a few black bears over the years but never one close to the size of that one except on TV.

What state were you in?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.