Hog Saddle

I don't have one but have seen one in use. Good piece of gear for tripod shooting. The best thing I like about a product that clamps your rifle down is when in a position that calls for tripod use it holds the rifle for you...that's about it. Minimizes movement getting the rifle up into position, or worrying about it falling off (had that happen both hunting and performing a "stalk" in training).
As far as it not looking stable enough for long range shooting, ask RDM416 about LR hunting off a tripod. I beleive most of his hunting is with a tripod (or two set up) and he has plenty of LR kills under his belt.
I think the tripod under it would make it or break it.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 135
  • deadshot 1 .png
    deadshot 1 .png
    17.3 KB · Views: 82
I believe this version came out first. It was originally called the Claw. A friend put his on a tripod and a JR hunter shot a deer around 400 yd IIRC.

A friend sold me his when he got out of shooting. (old age) I discovered that it has a learning curve. Some tripod tops work better than others. The two black curved pieces are actually nuts that cam over to make it tight on the rifle.

The tripod in video is THE top to use with this renamed product now called triclawps

link

Triclawps | Tripod Mounted Rifle Rests

We run the pig saddle in our class for shooting in unconventional positions. It is an awesome product and with proper use and practice it is an effective tool for mid to long range shooting. ..is it as stable as prone ? No but it is more stable than any other portable rest I've ever used.

Jordan@406

How does having a rifle rigidly attached to it's support change the POI? I would assume that you would not get a very natural straight back recoil but more of an arc as the fixed rifle and head would have to pivot over the tripod legs?

How does having a rifle rigidly attached to it's support change the POI? I would assume that you would not get a very natural straight back recoil but more of an arc as the fixed rifle and head would have to pivot over the tripod legs?

It certainly helps you hold the reticule on your target at 1,500 yds. because you don't have to touch the rifle. Only squeeze your thumb behind the trigger guard and your index finger on the trigger. No heart beat to mess up the shot either. :)

joseph

Im not good enough off a tripod to justify buying one. Maybe one day.
If i do thats the one id buy.

Til then i made one out of aluminum lined with closed cell neoprene foam to practice with. Awfully effective in a pinch.

A good point and one I'd considered as well.

If I were shooting off of such a rig I don't think I'd wan the rifle clamped down tightly so as to allow it to just slide back on recoil.

If recoil affected poi how could you shoot very small groups? The bullet is out of the barrel before the rifle moves from recoil. The recoil moves about 60 mph and the bullet moves about 2,000 mph. Has anyone ever used a Caldwell Lead Sled?

The tripod that holds the rifle rigid makes it much easier to hold your cross hair still without jumping all over the place. There is another type that holds the forearm and has another brace that is attached to the rear leg of the tripod up to the bottom of the rifle stock which actually works easier when adjusting the reticule to your target.

gt40

Shooting from different rests and the way they alter the recoil of a rifle can massively effect POI and groups. Just go from a light hold and a tight hold on a rifle and see how differently it behaves. If a gun doesn't ride straight back on the bags it can throw bullets all over the place. Get it tracking straight back and watch your groups improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.