High velocity chamberings known for having exceptional accuracy.

I know I'm not going to convince anyone about the urban legends regarding "inherent accuracy." But, no one will convince me it exists without proof.

Given the choice of a rifle built by the better smith's, ammunition of quality components, assembled by a knowing individual, in the quest for accuracy the choice of cartridge ranks last in my opinion.

Given the choice of a rifle built by the better smith's, ammunition of quality components, assembled by a knowing individual, in the quest for accuracy the choice of cartridge ranks last in my opinion.

I would agree with that. I also believe that there are some designs that are better than others and when we are looking to get the last bit of accuracy, it is significant to that degree.......rich

I would agree with that. I also believe that there are some designs that are better than others and when we are looking to get the last bit of accuracy, it is significant to that degree.......rich

I tend to agree with that as well. The challenge is expressing it accurately.

I "think" there are cartridges specific to certain disciplines, and applications, that more readily yield good accuracy in a variety of rifles, and conditions, with a broader range of loads.

I could have this all wrong, but I'll give it a try. There are a number of large capacity .338's built by master builders, and fired by master shooters, that best load to best load, will not produce a clear "accuracy" winner. However, I believe the Lapua version utilized world wide, in a variety of platforms, mass produced ammo, with a variety of shooters, probably comes out on top more often than not.

I didn't even know that ackley makes an improved version of the 22-250 (didn't think that it needed any improvment). What I do find interesting, is that with a few exceptions, almost all of the cartridges listed DO fall inside of the .22 to 6.5mm (actually 6.8mm to 7.21mm) caliber range.

My go-to caliber is 7mm (7.21), but my new long/fat barrel with RUM chamber has thus far not lived up to my accuracy hopes. Only 11 rounds have gone through it so far though. There were some 7mm HV carts listed, such as the Sharpe-Hart, and before I get reamed for failing to mention it, the STW. I have seen 7Hart brass and reloading die sets in Bobby's shop also. But with it's over-bore-ed-ness and finnickyness, it appears that RUM simply might not have what it takes to make the high-accuracy list.

What I'm wondering is, will it be possible to come up with a load that will satisfy my accuracy expectaions?

Or am I going to have to consider ditching the 7RUM, in favor of 6.5-284AI, or even 6-284 (that 1 really DOES intrigue me)?

When I told Bobby I was clocking my 139SST rounds at 3700fps, he stated that anything over 3500fps will NOT have good accuracy. Problem is, with the 22-250 having a typical MV of 3750fps, that flies right in the face of what he stated. Is there something I am missing?

I have a .308 Win thumping 210 VLD's in almost 1 hole... Just because it's a smaller caliber doesn't mean it's more accurate. I just got my .25-06 Ackley back and fire-formed some brass yesterday. Fire-forming I was wearing out the 1" orange dots @ 100 yards...

It's not necessarily about bore diameter...Some calibers are just naturally more accurate than others. For example, Weatherby calibers CAN be accurate, but tend to be fairly finicky. Atleast, my .257 Wby Accumark is. For a MSRP $2,100 rifle, I am not all that impressed with the precision accuracy aspect of it. For hunting, it is MORE than adequate, but IMO, a rifle that expensive should be shooting 1/2" groups out of the box...Not 1" and sometimes 3/4" if the wind blows right. You know? However, you look at the Remington rifles or custom rifles chambered in .257 Wby and they are tack-drivers. Guess Weatherby needs to start stepping up to the plate.

Sorry for the rant, but it is kind of frustrating when tou have to take a rifle that expensive to a gunsmith to "accurize" it to see if it's even capable of 1/2 MOA groups.

Anyway, after shooting my newly built .25-06 Ackley, I higly recommend it! Smooth, low recoil, accurate, fast. It's the perfect caliber, other than the fact that .25-06 brass is nowhere to be found for the last 3 friggin months...

I'm coming back to the 6br case and 6 Dasher. They win at 600 and 1000 yard matches quite frequently. That's enough distance to judge accuracy, plenty of variables. Oddly enough, the 6mm bullets are low bc compared to 6.5,7, 30 and 338. So, I believe something in the design is helping send this bullet out the neck, down the tube to the distance. Not sure what methods could gain objectivity here. Without wind, 6 Dasher or 6 BR.

I'm not knocking the 6ppc or 6br but I think most people getting into 600yd comp go with the 6mm's simply because there is so much data and who wants to get into comp shooting and have to take the time to learn a new cartridge when 1000's have already done the work. Most of my guns are wildcats or Improved and I can say my 22-250 Imp with a 75gr Amax @ 3550 has killed many critters past 800 yds. In the first 30 rounds my 338 (a 375 ruger case variant) was shooting in the 3's. There is no doubt that efficient the 6mm's are but for long range hunting it's about energy to cleanly take game.

I have a .308 Win thumping 210 VLD's in almost 1 hole... Just because it's a smaller caliber doesn't mean it's more accurate. I just got my .25-06 Ackley back and fire-formed some brass yesterday. Fire-forming I was wearing out the 1" orange dots @ 100 yards...

It's not necessarily about bore diameter...Some calibers are just naturally more accurate than others. For example, Weatherby calibers CAN be accurate, but tend to be fairly finicky. Atleast, my .257 Wby Accumark is. For a MSRP $2,100 rifle, I am not all that impressed with the precision accuracy aspect of it. For hunting, it is MORE than adequate, but IMO, a rifle that expensive should be shooting 1/2" groups out of the box...Not 1" and sometimes 3/4" if the wind blows right. You know? However, you look at the Remington rifles or custom rifles chambered in .257 Wby and they are tack-drivers. Guess Weatherby needs to start stepping up to the plate.

Sorry for the rant, but it is kind of frustrating when tou have to take a rifle that expensive to a gunsmith to "accurize" it to see if it's even capable of 1/2 MOA groups.

Anyway, after shooting my newly built .25-06 Ackley, I higly recommend it! Smooth, low recoil, accurate, fast. It's the perfect caliber, other than the fact that .25-06 brass is nowhere to be found for the last 3 friggin months...

Just a suggestion! You are better off using 270 brass for your A.I. anyway because you WILL end up with short brass after fire forming to A.I......Rich

Its dubbed the world's most accurate cartridge design because of its short, accurate burning powder column and efficient design. Its also won more matches than any other round in history.

at one time Lou and Ferris had a brand new case design that they said was even better. Nothing became of it after Ferris left us. I do know that it was designed for a controlled powder burn, but not too much more. Currently; under 300 yards the PPC family remains supreme for accuracy standards. The 6BR will be a close second, and one other right behind it built off the .225 Winchester case. (very rare). Past 300 yards, Pindell often said the 6BR was better. A person of his stature is hard to argue with. At 600+ yards the 6.5's and 7mm's really start to show up. But of course the 30 calibers do as well.
gary

The 2 that I'm aware of are the 22-250, and the 6.5-284 (AI?). Are ther any other high velocity cartridges out there that can match the accuracy (1/3moa, or better) of the ones I listed?

So, we've overwhelmed the OP with opinion and option.

As I said before high velocity is relative to perception.

Example: I consider 3750fps from my 223 high velocity for the chambering, from 22-250 it would be pitiful slow.

Just a suggestion! You are better off using 270 brass for your A.I. anyway because you WILL end up with short brass after fire forming to A.I......Rich

Yeah, my .25-06 brass ended up being shorter than anticipated, but I made a batch of .25-06 brass to fire-form from .270 range pickups, last night. I shot them today. While stiff to close the bolt, they formed nicely today at the range.

Yeah, my .25-06 brass ended up being shorter than anticipated, but I made a batch of .25-06 brass to fire-form from .270 range pickups, last night. I shot them today. While stiff to close the bolt, they formed nicely today at the range.

You want to be a little careful with stiff loads if you are fire forming with a bullet since the '06 chamber is only 2.494" and the 270 is 2.540".....Rich
p.s. that is why it was stiff chambering (could build excessive pressure)

You want to be a little careful with stiff loads if you are fire forming with a bullet since the '06 chamber is only 2.494" and the 270 is 2.540".....Rich
p.s. that is why it was stiff chambering (could build excessive pressure)

I trimmed them down to 2.494" last night after necking them down. Thanks for the info Rich.

I still wanna build me a 6.5 Sherman sometime soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.