High velocity chamberings known for having exceptional accuracy.

Max Heat

The 2 that I'm aware of are the 22-250, and the 6.5-284 (AI?). Are ther any other high velocity cartridges out there that can match the accuracy (1/3moa, or better) of the ones I listed?

22-250 Ackley, .257 Weatherby, .25-06, .25-06 Ackley Improved, .260 Ackley Improved, 6.5x47, 6.5 STW, 6.5 Sherman, 6.5 SS, .264 WinMag Improved, and many more.

All of MudRunner's examples are tack drivers along with many more. Personally the most accurate rifles I have seen are chambered in .222 Remington, .22-250, .243 Winchester, .240 Weatherby, 7x61 Sharpe&Hart, .308 Winchester, .308 Norma Magnum, and a couple others. Most rifles that are properly bedded and accurized and chambered in naturally accurate cartridges and ones that are pretty comfortable and controllable, will shoot under 1/2inch groups. It takes a lot of practice and patience to master a rifle though and you may not be able to shoot 1/3 MOA groups the first time but if you use proper technique and have a capable rifle with high quality ammunition this level of accuracy is attainable.

I would suggest that all high velocity chamberings have the potential to be accurate.

I just talked to a member that has owned and shot several 6mm-264s that were about as high velocity as you can get yet real tack drivers.

As stated by Jud 96 it is the attention to detail in the making of a rifle that makes it accurate not so much the actual chambering.

I would add that my 257 weatherby and 6mm-284s are very accurate high velocity chamberings.

Look at Kirby Allen's collection of monster chamberings, they are excellent shooters too.

I would suggest that all high velocity chamberings have the potential to be accurate.

I just talked to a member that has owned and shot several 6mm-264s that were about as high velocity as you can get yet real tack drivers.

As stated by Jud 96 it is the attention to detail in the making of a rifle that makes it accurate not so much the actual chambering.

I would add that my 257 weatherby and 6mm-284s are very accurate high velocity chamberings.

Look at Kirby Allen's collection of monster chamberings, they are excellent shooters too.

AZ-

I have to agree that a quality barrel and then quality build are a HUGE jump in the right direction.

One thing that I have also noted (and correct me if wrong) most of the combinations listed don't have the bullet deeply seated into the cartridge and are also over 90% capacity with the powder they are shooting, N0?

I think that these are also two key design factors with a lot of "accurate" cartridges be they speed demons or varmint rifles.

Any thoughts?

I didn't even know that ackley makes an improved version of the 22-250 (didn't think that it needed any improvment). What I do find interesting, is that with a few exceptions, almost all of the cartridges listed DO fall inside of the .22 to 6.5mm (actually 6.8mm to 7.21mm) caliber range.

My go-to caliber is 7mm (7.21), but my new long/fat barrel with RUM chamber has thus far not lived up to my accuracy hopes. Only 11 rounds have gone through it so far though. There were some 7mm HV carts listed, such as the Sharpe-Hart, and before I get reamed for failing to mention it, the STW. I have seen 7Hart brass and reloading die sets in Bobby's shop also. But with it's over-bore-ed-ness and finnickyness, it appears that RUM simply might not have what it takes to make the high-accuracy list.

What I'm wondering is, will it be possible to come up with a load that will satisfy my accuracy expectaions?

Or am I going to have to consider ditching the 7RUM, in favor of 6.5-284AI, or even 6-284 (that 1 really DOES intrigue me)?

When I told Bobby I was clocking my 139SST rounds at 3700fps, he stated that anything over 3500fps will NOT have good accuracy. Problem is, with the 22-250 having a typical MV of 3750fps, that flies right in the face of what he stated. Is there something I am missing?

AZ-

I have to agree that a quality barrel and then quality build are a HUGE jump in the right direction.

One thing that I have also noted (and correct me if wrong) most of the combinations listed don't have the bullet deeply seated into the cartridge and are also over 90% capacity with the powder they are shooting, N0?

I think that these are also two key design factors with a lot of "accurate" cartridges be they speed demons or varmint rifles.

Any thoughts?

I would agree with this and also add that the neck length can also aid in keeping things concentric. I also like the straight wall, sharp shoulder designs which cut down on case movement (stretch). The 6.5 Shermans that are out there have proven to be good performers. We haven't built enough 6.5 SS's yet to pile up a lot of data but I think it may have some of the greatest potential. It has a very short, efficient powder column along with the above mentioned pluses. Also, the fact that it is built on a short action gives an advantage in action stiffness which is definitely an accuracy booster. As was already mentioned, the barrel quality and attention to assembly by the smith will make most any cartridge shoot better.......Rich

I have yet to find any objective evidence showing any inherent accuracy to any particular cartridge - and I've looked. If such exists I would like to know.

As noted by AZShooter quality components and assembly bring about quality results.

I have yet to find any objective evidence showing any inherent accuracy to any particular cartridge - and I've looked. If such exists I would like to know.

As noted by AZShooter quality components and assembly bring about quality results.

Some inherently accurate cartridges, are the 6mmPPC, .22PPC, .308 based cartridges and many others that are efficient and have compact charges and accurate, consistent powder columns. These shell's accuracy can only be inhanced with quality components and a good rifleman underneath the rig.

Some inherently accurate cartridges, are the 6mmPPC, .22PPC, .308 based cartridges and many others that are efficient and have compact charges and accurate, consistent powder columns. These shell's accuracy can only be inhanced with quality components and a good rifleman underneath the rig.

Objective evidence?

Yes, I know where the PPC cartridges are used. However, are there studies showing the superiority of the design?

I've never seen objective evidence for the .308 based cartridges. In my experience the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned was one of these (7mm-08).

I know I'm not going to convince anyone about the urban legends regarding "inherent accuracy." But, no one will convince me it exists without proof.

Objective evidence?

Yes, I know where the PPC cartridges are used. However, are there studies showing the superiority of the design?

I've never seen objective evidence for the .308 based cartridges. In my experience the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned was one of these (7mm-08).

I know I'm not going to convince anyone about the urban legends regarding "inherent accuracy." But, no one will convince me it exists without proof.

Its dubbed the world's most accurate cartridge design because of its short, accurate burning powder column and efficient design. Its also won more matches than any other round in history.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts