high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

I have owned the SWFA SS, and currently own the bushnell elite 3200 MIL/MIL. I love both of them. I, however also own a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 and will say that I love that even more. Granted it cost 4 times as much as the 3200.

The Bushnell 3200's and 4200's are known to be more dependable than the Leupold VXIII's by many day-in-day-out hard kicking rifle users. Do a search and you will find African PH's that keep them on spare rifles for clients because the Leupolds fail more often than the Bushnells in their shooting conditions.

How's that for a can of worms!

What do I have on my rigs? All Leupolds; VXIII 4.5x14x50 on 22-250 , VXIII 4.5x14x40 on 300WBY and M8 2X EER on 454 Cassull revolver....why, you may ask after my opening statement. Because they were at a return goods auction and I got them for $40, $30 and $20 respectively. They each had a defect of some kind and I knew the guys in Beaver Oregon would back their products...and they did. They are perfect now and never an issue for 15 years of moderate use.

Would I go out and buy them new today? Maybe, but probably would look seriously at 3200's and 4200's first. Would I use a Tasco, Redfield, etc? You bet I would and did as a teen through early married years. Did I have any issues?....narry a one other than fogging in the early low low end models that weren't advertised as fog proof.

I see no need to knock anyone that feels comfortable or needs to keep within a budget for ANY reason. I am just glad to see that people are getting out there and supporting the shooting and hunting sports. As long as your doing it in a SAFE manner, I am all for it.

GOOD SHOOTIN' TO ALL! :)

I just spent $400 on a vortex viper, so much for low cost..then again a lot of ppl on here still consider a $400 scope cheap...it is by far the clearest scope I've ever looked through, can't wait to get my rings for it and see how it works on my wsm.....

Cheap is a relative term that directly relates to the amount of wherewithall in you wallet or checking account at a given time.......:)

My last purchased optic, the Vortex PST 4.5-18x50 SF was a radical departure for me, especially in price. Normally, I expect to pay at least the price of a firearm for an optic and sometimes twice the price so the Vortex for me was a very cheap scope.......

There are cheaper optics out there, much cheaper in fact. My take is at some point (don't know what that point is however) cheap directly equates to substantially lowered levels of performance.....

We shall see how it pans out. It 'appears' as clear as my Leupy's. I'm not a big fan of naked turrets bit they 'feel' precise. Will they hold a setting when the firearm is shouldered being carried in the woods.... only time and experience will tell. My other concern is if it will withstand repeated and heavy recoil without the erection system going south. Again, time will tell.

Contrary to some comments on here, I've never had an issue with a Leupold and recoil but I wanted to try some uncharted (for me) territory. Besides, at the time my 'wherewithall' was limited.:)

I am seeing 3 camps here, and am going to side with ScotE - the rational one.

However, if this were "run-of-the-mill hunting forum", I would be all in with what savageman is pushing. I think you are taking it to an extreme in place where some really need what others push at the other extreme. Although, I think there are many of us "posers" here among them that do not hunt at long ranges. And that other extreme- buy the best always for everything- often do not take application into consideration when they offer that advice.

I have a bunch of $50 scopes that I use, and I would not hesitate to take them into my hunting situation and know they will work fine. I typically do not use them and usually outfit my hunting rifle for the year with a $150 scope and it has NEVER failed me. Even WHEN - according to that camp - it does fail at the moment of the once in a lifetime opportunity, I will not worry myself to death for the rest of my life over it. My hunting is 99% fun, 1% kill.

I pick my battles when it comes to "buying the best at all costs" for everything in my life. I have been blessed in my career and have more means than I deserve perhaps, and still do not hesitate buying low cost tools, toys, things, etc if I know I will not be using them seriously and I belive they will perform to my realistic needs. If it makes me happy having the nicer more prestigous option, I go for it. In the end, I have more things collecting dust from lack of use or replaced by the newer model, than things I really want to keep using and broke. Resale value is nothing to me because I hate the process of selling things.

Its just the way I do it, and no one is going to change me, I am happy with what I have and how I got it.

My hunting rifle 3 years ago wore an old tasco 3-9 that my grandpa used the whole time he used the rife before he gave it to me. 2 years ago, after not being able to see through my scope in dim light when a decent buck was in front of me, I switched to a simmons 44 mag, which was much better. After this season, I decided to upgrade again, this time by a much farther margin. I purchased a more accurate rifle, and more importantly, I bought a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 scope. It serves all my needs from close range hunting to long range hunting and shooting. It cost a lot of money, but it is useful for every situation that I see myself getting into. Would I like an even better scope? Yes. But do I need anything better? NO! I also have a 3200 fixed 10 power, as I already stated, but it is useless as a hunting scope in 90% of situations I find myself in.

Look guys im not trying to tell anyone what they need or how to shoot, all im asking for is you to spread the word on good stuff at a low cost, I use the term low cost because affordable depends on budget but low cost is low cost, but to put it in plain english for this thread anything over $400 isnt low cost.
Now if you dont think that people should use products in that price range or that, long range shooting starts at a certain distance, this thread isnt for you, so dont read it and keep your opinions to yourself. Im not trying to be a jerk but **** near every post has been about how wrong I am or how I need to spend at least this much, or how i dont shoot at long range when all i did to start the thread was ask a question. So if you really have to say it, start a thread about how great $1000 scopes are.
I have 5 rifles two 22lr one 22wmr one 44-40 and one 5.56 what I consider long range is caliber dependent, long for a 22lr is 200yds for a 22wmr 300 and 700 for a 16" barrel AR-15 with a 1-9 twist. are any of those ranges long for a .308 with a 24" barrel no but i work with what i have.
Again all im asking is for people to spread the word on great gear they got for a great low price, I know its out there, But I cant afford to sift through the piles of junk in that price range to find the good stuff thats why I started this thread.
We all know how great high dollar stuff is. Im 24 I have a mortgage to pay for student loans to pay off, and I Cant drop a months mortgage payment on a scope, If a grand is nothing to you, will you buy me the scope you say I have to have? I didnt think so.

When I was 24 I did not hunt with Sako rifles with Swarovski scopes on them either. But 33yrs later with my house paid off and producing a substanial income I do. No one here is busting your balls for what you own or use. It is human nature to want better and more so as your life and income increase you will upgrade, I predict. Buy the best you can afford but if baby needs a new pair of shoes keep your priorities straight. But at 24 I sat and listened and learned and did not try to preach to old experienced guys.

Your right I have alot to learn, thats why when I found this site I read and read and read, I still read and then try what I read at the range, And If a came off "preachy" that was not my intent, I was frustrated when I wrote my last post I think that shows, And again I really am not trying to be a jerk, if I came across that way I apologize.
However I asked a simple question about good glass at low prices because I need it and I think alot of other guys do, There sure is a bunch of junk in the less than $300 price range but there are a few goodies to, I cant afford a high dollar scope if I had that kind of money Id spend it on a proper long range rifle, Im savin pennies for a either Savage' 10 FCP .308 or the FCP SR .308 or the Model 10 Precision Carbine in either .223 .300 blackout or .308, When I do get one of these Ill have alot to learn going to 1,000yds but I still will need a scope I can afford and one that works well.

I have a leapers golden Image 4x30 that moves the reticle around in circles when you adjust the focus ring (Paperwieght!!!!)
the Simmons scope that came with my Savage 93xp has worked flawlessly
I Sent a BSA whatever back beacause it was fuzzy around the edges and unusable at anything between 12x16x
then after looking through a bout 15 scopes at a local store the guy behind the counter asked whet I wanted it for and he used the Tasco 2.5-10x42mm on his ar and it was on sale so I got a great deal on the best scope in that price range unless i missed something from S&B on uber sale for $300

Ive also got a pair of very nice Bushnell binoculars, but wanted something light and compact so i tried monoculars and stuff I had a pair of tasco field binos but they dont cut it but finally found a set of Bushnell Powerview 10-30x24 porro prizm bino's that are very light clear and wont make me cry if i lose them and for $45 not breaking my bank either

Try this. Get your self a large jar/container and put it in your bed room. Every night when you get undressed for bed empty your pocket of loose change and put it in the container. Do this for a year or until the container is full and if the money is not needed for more important things you might find you have saved enough to get a quality piece of equipment for yourself. Until then do the best you can with what you have or can afford, work hard and don't aquire alot of debt, and your continuing success will allow you to continually upgrade. We've all been thru it, the best of luck to you.

Ok the comment by TF is unfortunately true in most cases with most optic mfg.
But there are optics out there that you do get what you pay or don't pay for ! Now with that said I don't think the person going on a $3-$6,000 hunt is going to top thier rifle with a "Bargain" scope but then how many can afford that type of hunt? I have shot from the cheap one's up to what I use now and I apprceciate that experience but all you need is one time to have the game your after in your view bring your rifle up and nothing then you'll understand why they cost what they do not saying it can't happen to a top of the line scope but the odds are that it will with the lower end more often than the upper end. Remember the MFG's charge what the market will bare.

I cant afford a high dollar scope if I had that kind of money Id spend it on a proper long range rifle, Im savin pennies for a either Savage' 10 FCP .308 or the FCP SR .308 or the Model 10 Precision Carbine in either .223 .300 blackout or .308

Pick up an old Savage 110 or 10 that can be had for cheap. Take out the barrel and replace it with a bull barrel from f.e. ER Shaw. Get an aftermarket trigger to install on it and aftermarket stock. Then some bluing chemicals to refinish the bluing on the gun and you're done.

I can point you to a good source for ER Shaw barrels, including 300 Blackout.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.