2 spotters as binoculars?

Bob lee

I am planning on putting 2 spotting scopes together as binoculars. I am wondering what you guys think as for using large or small spotters to do this and also if i would be better off with straight vs angled. I currently have one zen ray ed 2 20-60x82 angled , im considering another one of theese or buying 2 of the vortex razor hd spotters , they come in 3 sizes and im open to all suggestions or opinions/experiences. Thank you.

Id say depends on how well you want to see. Been done on here with large size byb several.May come up in search top right of this site Joel Russo uses set for mile type shooting

Angled may not work because the inter pupillary distance would be very wide. Look at two straight scopes that have the eyepiece axis offset from the objective axis. You might want to try a 20X bino before investing in this concept.

Just get a pair of the 20x80 stiener military binoculars. Best money I have ever spent and the most comfortable glassing I have ever done.

You have to determine what your intended purpose of these "optics" are. If it is a casual look on the mountain, then perhaps a 20x set of binoculars would be best. If you are looking for optics to really "glass" at long range, then there is no substitute for two high end optical spotting scopes assembled together in a quality bracket.
That being said, I have never been satisfied with the optical quality, so to speak, of a high power binocular utilized for glassing long hours. Out here in the East, we have been assembling these "big eyes" for years. Some have chosen to use the larger spotting scopes with the 80mm objectives, and some have chosen to go with the smaller scopes. I have put together a few different combinations over the years, and have settled on the somewhat smaller ones. I wanted to be able to pack my glass on my back, when we hit the mountain for a few mile trek to our hunting spot. I have been using the now discontinued Leica APO 62's with the 20x60 eyepieces which actually end up being 14x48 on the 62's. The optical clarity, color retention etc are absolutely killer with these scopes. No matter what brand you choose, I would suggest using the straight eyepieces. With the high quality scopes, and a properly constructed bracket that collimates the scopes, one can glass for hours or days without any eye fatigue. Yes, they cost a bunch of money, but it all starts with being able to actually see in detail what you are looking at.
Read about my sets here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/got-glass-138531/

I consdiderd a pair of 20x binocs but i want a lottle more magnification available , i dont wanna top out at 20x , though i suppose one spotter and an additional tripod for the 20x binocs may still work out well.

Don't count out the 20s as not being enough glass. We have been able to judge deer and put horns on spikes at incredible distances, over 1200 yards in fact. The stieners have never left me wanting for more glass.

Don't count out the 20s as not being enough glass. We have been able to judge deer and put horns on spikes at incredible distances, over 1200 yards in fact. The stieners have never left me wanting for more glass.

I agree. 20X is a lot of magnification for a binocular. The field of view seems like a soda straw compared to a 10X binocular, and requires the viewer to make four times as many panning movements to scan a given area.

For someone with good binocular vision,The human brain processes binocular images better than monocular images, and eye and muscle fatigue are lower when using a binocular. Most of the time I use a 15X binocular when long range spotting out to 1 km. In my experience, a good 15X binocular is roughly equivalent to a good 20X spotting scope. That benefit only applies to someone with good binocular vision, of course.

These days I only use my spotting scope at the range.

Thanks for the replies guys, great info joel i am in the east myself in central PA. I posted this on the other forum and i am being told this concept is rediclous over there. Glad to see someone in the know sees the point of this.

Thanks for the replies guys, great info joel i am in the east myself in central PA. I posted this on the other forum and i am being told this concept is rediclous over there. Glad to see someone in the know sees the point of this.

Where are you in central PA?

You have to determine what your intended purpose of these "optics" are. If it is a casual look on the mountain, then perhaps a 20x set of binoculars would be best. If you are looking for optics to really "glass" at long range, then there is no substitute for two high end optical spotting scopes assembled together in a quality bracket.
That being said, I have never been satisfied with the optical quality, so to speak, of a high power binocular utilized for glassing long hours. Out here in the East, we have been assembling these "big eyes" for years. Some have chosen to use the larger spotting scopes with the 80mm objectives, and some have chosen to go with the smaller scopes. I have put together a few different combinations over the years, and have settled on the somewhat smaller ones. I wanted to be able to pack my glass on my back, when we hit the mountain for a few mile trek to our hunting spot. I have been using the now discontinued Leica APO 62's with the 20x60 eyepieces which actually end up being 14x48 on the 62's. The optical clarity, color retention etc are absolutely killer with these scopes. No matter what brand you choose, I would suggest using the straight eyepieces. With the high quality scopes, and a properly constructed bracket that collimates the scopes, one can glass for hours or days without any eye fatigue. Yes, they cost a bunch of money, but it all starts with being able to actually see in detail what you are looking at.
Read about my sets here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/got-glass-138531/
AHHHHH,The master chimed in. I want to clarify so your dual set up is 14x 48,that would be pretty good with quality you are talking. What is best bino you think that is close to what your using and best budget set also. Thanks getting good use out of that King of Mtn I got from you, I made button up out of it Shot my bull moose and last day meat buck wearing it.

AHHHHH,The master chimed in. I want to clarify so your dual set up is 14x 48,that would be pretty good with quality you are talking. What is best bino you think that is close to what your using and best budget set also. Thanks getting good use out of that King of Mtn I got from you, I made button up out of it Shot my bull moose and last day meat buck wearing it.

Glad you're putting that jacket to good use. I would look at the Swarovski or the Leica if you choose the binocular.
My dual set up utilizes the 20x60 eyepieces, but they are actually 14x48 on the 62's. It's rare that I ever go past 20x on these. I usually keep them on 14x when we shoot the mile matches, or when I'm glassing the mountain.
A good budget set would be the Bushnell Spacemasters, and they would be in the $500-$700 range.

Joel, i work in harrisburg , live near state college.

I'm in Harrisburg. You are welcome to stop and take a look through a few of the different sets that I have put together as well as the Swarovski and Leica binoculars.

Always nice to test drive before you spend any money..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.