High end Laser rangefinders

dogfox

Hi,
Has anyone, tried any of the Newcon OPTIK product range, they appear to have quite a good range capability according to their web site. Some of them claim 3Km - 4Km thats near 2 miles.
But I wonder how they would work on a Coyote or PD, they are a bit smaller than the average military vehicle for those 1000 yard plus shots.

see link - try copy and paste if it does not work

Night Vision, Laser Range Finders, Thermal, Stabilized Imagers, Binoculars, Goggles, Monoculars, Night Vision Scopes by Newcon Optik

Dogfox

Newcon Optic

I have one of their LRB 4000CI LRF's. I compared it to the SWARO I have and found that both gave me the same readings +- side by side out to where the range was past that of the SWARO capability.
I have ranged out to 3300yds with the Newcon at which point it became hard to focus on a suitable object. I have not used the computer interface nor the speed functions of the Newcon.
Newcon Cons
1. It is big, really big
2. You will need a solid tripod to range at long distance
3. The optics are not near the optics of the SWARO

SWARO Pluses
1. Its small
2. Superior Optics
3. Ranges out to around 1300yds, which is well past my capability

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

I tested the 3000 and a 4000 yard unit head to head against my Swari as well. On hard targets, the Newcons were very impressive. I was getting readings out past 2800 yards with the 3000 model and +3600 yards with the 4000 yards model. That was of course when ranging targets such as buildings and it was a cloudy day with cool temps and low humidity.

I then took them out and compared them head to head with the Swari but this time against soft targets.

On 1500 lb round alfalfa hay bails, THere was no real difference between the three. In bright sunlight, I was getting consistant ranging out to 1500 yards or a bit more with all three.

On smaller square hay bails, All would get me between 1300 and 1350 yards.

On bare grass hillsides, again, all three were about the same. My Swari will get consistant 1800 yard readings in good ranging conditions and well over 1400 in most any conditions with good air quality.

I have gotten several ranges with the Swari that were over 2000 yards.

Again, on hard targets, the Newcons have a clear advantage, against soft targets which we would need to range for long range hunting, I saw no real advantage for the Newcons over the Swari, especially when you consider size and cost.

And as said, the optical quality is no comparision compared to the Swari glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.