Montana - outlawed laser rangefinders for hunting?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Hbb6601, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hbb6601

Hbb6601 Well-Known Member

Is it true that Montana has outlawed the use of laser rangefinders for hunting? I lived there for a long time and they were ok. I have a buddy that called to see if it was ok to hunt with a lighted reticle (nightforce) and the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks told him that was ok but laser rangefinders were illegal for hunting. Is this true? I haven't heard of this before......

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

god I dought it thats one of the free states semes counter intuitive to me. Knowing the range will boost hit ratios resulting in more and cleaner kills.

3. bogger01

bogger01 Well-Known Member

if i had to guess they were probably talking about laser aiming devices

4. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

HUH! Everyone I know is going to get a ticket if it were true. I can see how one paragraph would be construed to mean LRF but the light is not visible so I don't think it would count. A projected visible light beam would for sure be illegal, hence the spot lighting issues. I run questions like this through the game warden in the area I hunt, that way your getting it from the horses mouth so to speak.
    I've never been asked to or checked on a LRF and I've had it hanging in plain sight!

"Artificial Light
    It is illegal for anyone to take or attempt
    to take any game animal or game bird
    with the aid of projected artificial light."

5. Hbb6601

I'm with everyone else but the crazy thing is my buddy called and asked a Montana game warden today. I told him I thought that was crazy as I've always hunted with one in Montana and it was legal so I thought maybe they changed the regulations. I guess the Game warden he talked to must have been mistaken. Still strange that he told him that.....

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Did he talk to a local game warden or to the main desk at Helena, there's a big difference sometimes!

7. westcliffe01

westcliffe01 Well-Known Member

Possibly the ranger is not a shooter and doesn't know what a rangefinder is ?

8. Hbb6601

He did call the local office in Billings and they transferred him to Helena. I'll going to get a buddy in Roundup to ask the local warden. I think the other guy may have been confused.

9. Mickey D

Mickey D Well-Known Member

Just range finder may sound better.

10. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

11. mthunter86

mthunter86 Well-Known Member

Talked to the head Worden today for region 5 and this is simply note true. I was told that it has never even been discussed...I think the first person must have had a misunderstanding with whoever they spoke with.

12. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

The person you spoke to might have been thinking about the new rangefinder that mounts on your bow. Leupold vendeta I belive. I know there was a lot for sale on archerytalk for a while since its illegal to have a elctronic or battery powered device, or any kind of artifitial light on your bow or arrow. So know lighted sight or nock or rangefinder mounted to your bow.

13. aroshtr

aroshtr Well-Known Member

If they were talking about rifles.... I wonder if the person or warden was thinking about the laser rangefinding scopes that are all built into one unit. Might be considered an electronic device attached to a weapon.

aroshtr

14. Hbb6601

Perfect; thanks for checking!