Hidden Creek Outfitters

CC,
I hope you do well. The enthusiasm that you have for the hunt and the wilderness experience is great. We need a lot more guys / gals of all ages
promoting it. I've been enjoying this thread and look forward to your hunt stories and pics when you come back.
I will be hunting a few miles east in unit 59 the last week of the season. Hoping to get some weather by then to push your leftovers my way. :D
Good huntin and most of all- stay safe. Don't get your boots too deep in the stirrups, in case of a wreck you need to get your feet free in a hurry!

Dan

Takin a break today for our monthly cowboy shoot...lots of fun and still get to do a lot of shooting. If you look at my avatar, it was takin at the Colorado State Championship shoot several years ago. I shoot black powder exclusively and it is a hoot! (I was runnerup in my class). Tomorrow is a Dr. appointment so my Orthopedist can give me a cortisone shot in my rt ankle before the trip...hell to get old. Tuesday last minute shopping and load truck and off I go @ 4 AM Wed.

Just got back from the hunt with Hidden Creek. Had a great time, but got blanked! First let me say the Bill Perry runs a great operation, first class all the way. Everythiung met or exceeded my expectations. With that out of the way I'll tell you about the hunting.

I was in Teton Camp and we got nothing. The week before they got 11 for 12. Hunted hard every day, up at 4:30 breakfast and on the horse and gone by 5:30. Out all day until dark and never back to camp before 8:30. Dinner and usually in bed by 9:30...dog tired! First day I saw a great 6x6 but did not have a shot as he was 400 yds away going up a ridge. Could only see his back and ***. Wind blowing about 20 to 25 and no real rest for shot, so I passed. Saw him again the next evening, but too dark to shoot. Saw a few elk every day, but really spooky as there are lots of wolves there. Saw a pack of 9 that busted a small herd of 8 cows and a small bull we were making a stalk on. Also had 4 grizzlies walk up to within 70 yards of me and the guide. The real sad thing is that there were lots of bones everywhere, (elk, deer, moose and even a bison) that my guide said were from the wolves or bears.

If I would recommend to someone who wants to go, there are only 2 hunts to consider. the first and the last.

I was the oldest person in camp and my conditioning program really paid off. Had a blast even tho I didn't fill my tag!

Bill does run a great outfit. Sounds like you missed the major migration by a few days. You still were privy to some of the most awesome country there is!

Thanks for letting us know how it went CC. I'm especially glad to hear you had a great time without bagging one. I'm booked for the second to last hunt next year at the Teton camp, so I might be in the same boat, but hopefully my experience is as good as yours. On the go from 5:30 to 8:30 certainly tells me I'd better be in shape when I get there.

Any pictures you have I'd love to see.

Chris

Based on what everyone told me, I would try to change your hunt hunt to the last one next year. Unless you are locked in with the dates, probably gives you the best odds for a good bull. Everything depends on the weather, this year it's been pretty hot & dry. A few showers, but mostly residual moisture from the past winter which was a wet one. I tried to book the first hunt but was too late as it was full.

Cannot emphasize enough to get the old body in condition. I am almost 70 (next month!) and spent the better part of a year. Went to a gym and got a personal trainer to begin with, ended up doing both morning and evening workouts. Yep "2 a dayers"...just like when I was playing football.

I will get some pictures post after I get them transfered from the camera and edited/enhanced.

This has been an amazing thread. Colorado Cowboy, I'm so glad you had a great experience but I sure wish you could have connected with something. I'm sure you have lots of memories from that trip.

DanMan, I really appreciate and value all of your inputs into this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time. I can't wait for my first elk hunt. I'm hoping to get booked for a hunt within the next two years! I have started working out to prepare but now I need to find some horses to ride.

Reading threads like this keeps me fired up and ready to go. Thanks gentlemen!!

Curtis

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts