Hidden Creek Outfitters

Hey CodyDan:

I for one really appreciate you taking the time to provide that level of detail about the hunt. The advice you're passing on is not something I can get from some TV show or magazine article. I have to say that Bill Perry at HCO has stressed that being in good shape will dramatically improve my odds at knocking down a big one. Also by taking to some of his references, I've found that they've seen overweight and out of shape guys roll into camp and think that just because they've plopped down some serious coin for the trip that they should be waited on hand and feet and a guide should be bringing a 300 class elk to them on a rope.

Personally, I'm just thankful that I have the resources to afford this sort of trip and will be satisfied by being in an area relatively untouched and spending a week with some good guys doing something we all love to do. I also expect to work hard. Quite frankly I think I would be disappointed on day 2 to harvest and elk a quarter mile from camp.

Thanks for all the tips on clothing. Considering the huge variability day-to-day and even within each day, I'm guessing layers (of quality clothing) is key. I also understand how important quietness is key. What do you think about boots? Right now I'm trying to decide between the Danner Canadian 600G insulated boots (full leather) and the Schnee Bison Hunter II (pac boot). I think the Danner might be warmer (I do get cold feet when on stand for > 1 hour), but I think the removable liner would mean I can dry them better. I also plan on using quiet gators. I want to buy something pretty quick so I can deer hunt with them this year to make sure they're broken in and are comfortable.

As far as getting in shape, I continue to run regularly, but this winter will add weight training and hill running. While I doubt I'll be able to get into the "cowboy" club (stay away from my wife haha) I expect to be able to do a lot of riding and walking multiple days in a row without whining....

Lastly, as a long time bow hunter I know I need to get super proficient with my new rifle. I bought an X-Bolt 300 WSM w/Leupold VX-3L. I've shot about 50 rounds through it and while I'm always in the vitals I know I need to get better. Do you recommend shooting sticks? If so, are bipod or tripod preferred?

Thanks again for taking the time to pass along your years of experience.

Chris

CodyDan,

I to appreciate your advise! I have been working out and riding horses. The horse part has been the hardest since I don't own one. I have been riding 2 to four hours at a time. Thanks again for stressing how important the riding is. Don't think I would have done it if not for you. My trip starts in 30 days and hope to be in even better shape. I bought a weighted vest and feel like a nut job walking around with it on. Looks like I am about to try and blow something up.
Thanks again.

DoubleM

What do you think about boots? Right now I'm trying to decide between the Danner Canadian 600G insulated boots (full leather) and the Schnee Bison Hunter II (pac boot). I think the Danner might be warmer (I do get cold feet when on stand for > 1 hour), but I think the removable liner would mean I can dry them better. I also plan on using quiet gators. I want to buy something pretty quick so I can deer hunt with them this year to make sure they're broken in and are comfortable.

Chris

Chris,

Given that you'll be spending lots of quality time in them I'd recommend trying them both on and seeing which one fits you better. For me, I never buy shoes or boots unless can try them on. Sometimes a visit to the nearest Cabelas/Bass Pro/Gander/ etc is well worth the time. I did this, and can walk all day in my elk hunting boots with no issues.

Patrick

Hi,

That's the problem with hunting these days! TV shows and hunting magazines. People way over complicating hunting for the sake of marketing and sales. If you are supposed to have this bullet or that gun only to kill an elk, oh! and its the best! or you won't have a good clean kill or have people thinking they cannot do the job with any other gun or round, well horses**t!!! What the heck did Teddy Roosevelt and Max Wade use or how did they kill elk? Why is all that necessary when I can stick an elk with my Black Widow take down recurve with a wooden stick and have elk go no more than 30 yards with one shot? Some one please explain it to me cause I am missing something. I can appreciate the technology that goes into things these days but its uses in the back country sometimes, well its just not practical. Like archery equipment... Put all that fancy stuff on a bow, pack it on a horse 30+ miles into the wilderness and the chances of something going wrong is increased. Keep things simple, easily changeable, readily available etc...!!! Thats another topic... Any legal modern weapon for hunting will kill an elk. 99.9999999999999999999999% of the time its the hunter that fails or errors on the clean kill! Being in shape has something to do with it as well as situational awareness and practicing different shooting situations also...

If you see the bull of a life time on the first minute of your hunt and you are at the corrals trying to mount your horse. Grab the gun from the scabbard, jack one in the chamber and KILL IT! Day one, Day 2.... Last Day doesn't matter. In there, its about opportunity! I understand being selective though. As a guide I tried to get to know what my hunters expected from their hunt and made the choice when to shoot for them, then they made the final call. In most cases I had to keep hunters from shooting, especially at smaller animals early in the hunt. Make up your mind what kind of animal you want to take before you even go, be realistic, and when you see that animal take it don't wait, take it... I have a lot of respect for people that did things that way and were prepared to go home empty handed. We see deer hunters all the time that will pass up a 130 or even a 150 buck back home to let it grow up to trophy size then get on a plane and come out here and want to kill our rag 5 and 6 point bulls that have not had the chance to mature yet just to fill their tag then say well where are all the big 350+ bulls?.........Sorry! my pet peeve.

I wear Schnee boots mainly and Whites for riding. But not the overseas junk on the market today. Schnee has in the recent past decided to allow their product name to be put on a lesser quality product for the masses and I think are manufactured overseas. Don't quote me on this I just know they are different and cheaper. I buy mine from the main store in Bozeman Mt. That is the only place you can get the true Schnee boot. Danner used to be a good boot a while back and I used them for years. I had a pair for 12 seasons and I am hard on boots and clothing so I buy the most rugged I can regardless of cost. They finally had to go and I bought their current best boot that lasted 3 weeks in the back country. will not go there again. I use to use White for pack boots and in the recent past they have gone to a lesser mix on the clay in the rubber soles and had a pair of brand new boots in the box for one year, never worn, and the side split out of them the first time I wore them. Was told by my buddy at Wayne's Boot Shop in Cody about the changes in the rubber compounds. And of course the warranty was up on them. So after all of that I only use Schnee original. Keep in mind though that I wear them for a living even sleeping in them sometimes. Just make sure that your new boots are well worn in. DO NOT WEAR NEW BOOTS!!!! BREAK THEM IN FIRST OR YOU WILL PAY!!! I take mine out of the box brand new, put them on and go fishing, wading in and getting them nice and soaked for, well as long as I am fishing. Then wear them until dry oil them and wear them some more. Also Schnee has some of the best water proffers on the market today, highly recommended... Some of the well known brands are not good for the life of the leather and really don't water proof for very long. If you are wearing the synthetic boots then no worries other than they don't dry inside fully over night for the next days hunt. That little bit of leftover moisture can get your toes chilly when sitting for any length of time.

You are welcome on the clothing stuff... I like the silk and the right layers with the lightest close to my body a medium layer and the heavy. I am constantly changing. If I am going to walk for any distance I strip down so I don't get everything wet from sweat. Even if its cold. I heat up a lot when walking. Cause if you stop and are there for the evening hunt setting can get very cold if you are damp with sweat. That's why I like the silk it is the best that I have found for me to stay dry in the under layers. Most all of the so called dry under clothing for hunting I have tried thus far still retains just enough moisture to get most people cold when in the mountains.

Yes shooting sticks are a plus as long as you can use them proficiently. If I had to make a choice for you, bipod... I have seen some hunters have them on the weapon which is fine but have seen some hangups in the scabbard when hurrying for a shot. By all means take them and keep them in your pack while hunting but most of the time shots are taken off of some kind of rest like your pack from rocks, branches etc. If you have the time to setup and use them then I guess you can't use them if you don't bring them along. Use telescopic models only so the pack easily.

Also on the shooting thing. Try running or jogging till you are out of breath then try to hit a 100 yard target. So go to the range set your gun up wear your weighted pack then take off running, in a safe direction of course..., return and strip off your pack, use it as your rest and see how well you shoot. That's an extreme but is very similar to how a lot of elk hunts go when you have to bust butt to get in the right spot, set up in a hurry and get a clean accurate shot off before that 360+ bull heads into the timber to never be seen again on your hunt. It happens.

Also reading material. A good read is "The Last 11 Days of Earl Duran". Its about one of our local mountain outlaws. One of my favorites.

Cheers!
CodyDan

CodyDan,

I to appreciate your advise! I have been working out and riding horses. The horse part has been the hardest since I don't own one. I have been riding 2 to four hours at a time. Thanks again for stressing how important the riding is. Don't think I would have done it if not for you. My trip starts in 30 days and hope to be in even better shape. I bought a weighted vest and feel like a nut job walking around with it on. Looks like I am about to try and blow something up.
Thanks again.

DoubleM

Hey DoubleM,

Great job on your efforts in getting ready!

You will see what I mean when you are the only hunter in camp that week that can sit down that first night at the dining table without your heavy coat under your arse for a cushion. You will still be somewhat sore but not as bad as the rest LOL!!! When you are sore that first night, thing about how bad the others feel that didn't ride. Believe me I have seen it hundreds of times.

Keep in mind that on the long trip in if you start shifting your weight all around because you are sore, you are working that horse to death. Stay centered and go with the horse. Those animals are your ride to civilization, they get wither and kidney sore from dudes that don't know how to ride and is a huge expense on a camps budget replacing lame stock. I have seen many times where an Outfitter had to go rent extra horses throughout the hunt. You will have heavy cloths on at times. Make sure you can mount and dismount easily. Hanging on the side of even a dog gentle dude horse can cause a wreck sometimes. They will go over the riding with you at the trail head.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Just got back from my PM workout, feel pretty good. Going for a ride at a local outfitters tomorrow am, try to ride a couple of time a week until I leave. 36 days left till I leave for Cody. Still doing the 2 aday's ...like when I played football oh so long ago. Gym work for about a 1/2 hrs in am and walking 4 to 5 miles (uphill & downhill) in PM.

I have several pair of the silk long underware that I really like. Been using them for several years. I use them a lot when I am goose hunting when temp get to 0 and below and am sitting in a field blind.

I went by my local taxidermist tody and picked up my Rio Grande trukey tail/beard wall mount. Looked at several NM, Utah & Colo elk mounts he was working on. One Utah set was over 400. Local rancher found it dead, man it was huge. Saw lots of stuff he had from 300 to 350. Know what I'm lookin for now!

Question for CodyDan: Is there a gym in Casper? Do you know if they take day/pay, use? I'm spending 3 days prior to packing in Cody and might want to workout.

Last edited:
In Casper or Cody?

I know there is in Cody and pretty sure Casper should have one but you may want to do some local Casper searching. I don't work out in a Gym. I get plenty of exercise bucking hay and climbing mountains.

Yes, I have had over the years many hunters tell me that they would only settle for a 350+ bull, no if's and's or but's about it...Then walk in the taxidermy shop and look up at a 290 bull hanging on the wall in amazement and say, and I quote " Man that thing is huge, if I see something like that I'm shootin". People don't realize just how big a 400 bull is.

Cool deal on the Rio Grande

Cheers!

P.S. Most all Outfitters I have worked for take hunters to the gun range before the hunt regardless of how much shooting you have done. And most want you in Cody at least a day before you pack in.

Last edited:
Spent about 5 hours today on a trail ride of 10 miles. Not too bad. Not really sore at all and the ride was pretty comfortable, considering I havn't been on a horse in 5 years. Looks like in a couple of weeks I'll do an all day (8hr) ride up to 11, 000 ft and see how that goes. Maybe I will not have a problem with the 30 miler getting to camp. Hope my workouts are make a difference riding too.

Once again Dan thanks for all the tips. I will definitely pick up that book. It sounds interesting!

I will definitely talk to my guide about the type of elk I'm looking for. While I clearly want to harvest one, I really only wish to take a mature bull. I'm not one who's into "trophy" animals. Where I've deer hunted my whole life trophies are few and far between. Once I have meat in the freezer then I worry about being selective. However on this hunt I'm willing to go home empty handed if I can't get a shot at a "respectable" bull. Of course if the opportunity comes up on day 2 then I'll take it and then I guess spend the rest of the time fishing... :)

Chris

Just got back from the range and the final shooting of my .300 Wby. Shot several groups @ 200 that were less than 1 1/2". Last week I verified my scope settings for 4 & 500 yds, also less than minute of angle groups. I have shoot about 200 rounds of my new handload thru the new Shilen match barrel getting ready.....no alibies now!

Am in really good shape (for someone who is almost 70) and ready to go. I'll be on the road to Cody 3 weeks from today....YeeHaw!!!

Well CC I expect you'll be the best prepared, most in shape guy in the group. I can't wait to see some of the pics from your trip. Very jealous of you right now! :)

Chris

I bet you're not getting a lot of sleep these next few nights CC! Haha. Well you've clearly prepared as good as you can. I hope you have a great trip, stay safe and knock a big one down. Can't wait to hear about the trip and see some pictures!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.