HHA Optimizer Set-up????

NDPronghorn

Is there a post somewhere regarding the set-up for the HHA Optimizer? When we set it up at the dealer on my TAC 15i the technician shimmed the front of the scope to get it dialed in at 20 yards otherwise it shot too high. I plan to have my initial zero started at 30 yards and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation and exactly what was done to rectify it? Regards........

If you use the pre-printed range strips you have to zero at 20 yards and then shoot at 60 yards to determine which strip to select.

That said, once zeroed you can then set the crossbow to any range you want and simply hold over or under if that's your liking.

After running the ballistics on the Tac15 I discovered that you can set it to 25 yards and be pretty good at ranges from 5 to 32 yards. Good enough for shooting deer, that is.

Jon has a technique for using the Optimizer that does not involve the strips, but you need to tabulate and print out what yardage corresponds to what mark on the 'bare' dial. The instructions for doing this are on this forum somwhere.

If your crossbow scope runs out of adjustment before zeroing at 20 yards you'll have to shim one of the scope rings. The newer HHA Optimizers don't need shimming. My understanding is that you need a shim with the older ones.

Hi NDPronghorn,
The problem you're experiencing is very common and well known to those of us that have been working with the modifications for the TAC series crossbows.

It usually shows up right after people either install a QAD arrow rest and then begin re-tuning their crossbows or as soon as a HHA Optimizer Speed Dial is installed.

There are some very good articles that were written on how to properly resolve this problem, but the net, net of it is exactly what Twanger stated. There is a company that makes an adjustable set o rings that are produced specifically to allow easy, adjustable shimming of your scope. This is by far the best way to do the job and get the most out of it.

I need Buzzard Bait (Russell Beach) to send you a link or send the article because I don't have easy access to it anymore. Russ actually not only ordered and installed these rings on his crossbow, but may have been the one who wrote some of the instructions on How-to.

The second method is to purchase some thin walled PVC and use it to do the shim work. Super 91 has a thread back in the archives that explains how and where he shimmed numerous TAC15/15i's for himself and other customers.

With the use of either method, you will get your short yardage elevations back and can then use whatever distance you'd like with your HHA Optimizer.

I have an article that you might want to read on installing and setting up the HHA Optimizer Speed Dial. It's in the TAC15/15i Forum on one of the older pages. It's entitled: "Getting the most out of The HHA Optimizer Speed Dial".

The method you're using follows the manufacturer's included instructions. It's faster and easier, but no where near as accurate in the final product than the method I use. My method is based on how an actual competition site is set up and zeroed in. For the best possible accuracy we don't care about how fast we can be able to shoot, we only care about a one inch dot at all distances and being in that dot, so close isn't good enough.

I'll see if I can raise Buzzard Baits attention, but he usually isn't available until later in the evenings, so please be patient. In the mean time, if you search back in the older threads from last summer and fall, you'll probably come across the threads containing the information your looking for.

Regards,

Jon

Spoke to Russ about an hour ago about the problem you're having. He said he'll find the information and then get it to you. He knows about this thread, so he also knows how to get to you when he has the material.

Good Luck,

Jon

Hi NDPronghorn,

I'm very familiar with the problem you're having with mounting your scope. I thought I would never get my TAC 15 shooting!

If you have a newer HHA Optimizer you shouldn't need to shim the scope IF all the components you're using are manufactured pretty close to specs. I had an older HHA Optimizer which Harry and Brad Ham at HHA Sports changed out for me. They are great guys!

That said, you may have a combination (your TAC 15 upper, HHA Optimizer, scope mounts, scope rings, etc.) that is at the extreme end of the specs and the combination just won't align like you want. The answer I found, through trial and error, was to use a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings and ***-Align Offset Inserts.

You might use the PVC shim solution as jon.henry755 suggested (and as Super 91 used), but in my opinion there is a potential problem using a PVC shim in one of the rings and that is the possibility of bending your scope. As you are aware the steel rings grip in a straight line and if they are tilted (ie. on different planes) they will only grip with the edge of the ring. The Burris rings and inserts will grip the entire surface of each ring. There is an excellent article here on LRH in the ARTICLES section discussing these rings and inserts and the reasons for using them. I don't remember the authors name.

The Burris Signature Zee Rings come in 30 MM or 1 inch to fit whatever scope you're using; you'll need the Weaver Style for the Optimizer rail. An accessory kit (Signature ***-Align Offset Kit) is also available and includes one .005", one .010" and one .020" offset inserts. I ordered accessory two kits when I ordered my rings.

Len may have them here in the LRH Store. If not, you can do a google search for them. You will find several sources, but not everybody will have them in stock and prices will vary.

Read the article I referenced, read Jon's article on the HHA Optimizer, let us know what you decide and we'll go from there. Ask any questions!

Regards,

Buzzard Bait (Russ)

NDPronghorn,

The Article I referenced is in the June 2011 section; Burris Signature Zee rings Review by M. L. (mic) McPherson.

Regards,

BB

Hi NDPronghorn,
Consider the options that Russ has provided. If it were me, I'd follow his advice to a T because when I told you he's the expert in this area, that's not an over statement in any sense.

Russ has been involved with high tech. competitive archery and shooting technologies longer than most people have even been alive.

Good luck and let us know which way you choose to go?

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.