hha vertical asjustment

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their imput.

However, my fun meter is still pegged in the wrong direction.

Yesterday, I started over by placing my elevation and windage knobs in the "neutral" position.(half way into the available adjustments)

I paper tuned to perfection!!!!

I then shot at 20 yds and was 6 1/2 inches to the right and 8 inches high. I tried rotating ring mount positions front to back as well as left and right. Things only got worse.

This morning I ordered the Burris rings, but they are on backorder till next week. They had the 1 inch but not the 30mm.

It gets better. Appears that the delay in receiving the rings now doesn't matter since I just discovered that my right upper limb is delaminating. Contacted my dealer and he will get these replaced. I don't know how long that will take but I should have the Burris ring mounts about the same time and I can start all over again.

I am retired but had not planned on making a career of getting this crossbow to a hunting blind.

Doctor said to not pull my compound bow for another month because of an elbow injury.

I may have to look for quality blowgun or try my luck with a saber.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm really sorry to hear about all the misfortunes. It seems to follow that old saying that "when it rains it pours". Possibly you would have needed to get started on setting up your equipment a few weeks earlier.

Even that's hard to say because if things are going to go wrong they can do so at any time. Murphy's Law presides in these situations, but hang in there because it does get better once you get past these initial problems.

Regards,

Jon

A good bit of useful information has been presented in this thread on the problematic condition of sighting in a scope on the Tac 15. Until today I was not aware that the scope rail on my unit is canted downward towards the barrel by 0.125" in 6". This condition made it impossible to sight in a scope without moving the rest. This was a quick and dirty fix which sacrificed potential accuracy.

My setup consisted of a HHA speed dial atop the scope rail with a Hawke scope mounted on high rings. High rings were used because the biscuit was in the line of sight. When the unit was paper tuned, the arrows were hitting 12"++ high. The solution at the time was to readjust the rest downward...

As suggested during this discussion , a set of Burris Signature rings with 0.20" offset inserts were installed . Very quickly it became obvious that one set of offset inserts would not provide enough elevation. Inserts (.020 ) were then installed on both rings. To gain additional elevation, the ring spacing was adjusted from 4.5" to 2.375" C. to C.

The change is remarkable. After readjusting the rest and paper tuning, the arrow is still hitting a bit high. With a multi aim point scope mounted and using the "main sight in crosshair" the arrow is hitting 2" high, however, utilizing the upper compensating aim point its dead on at 20 yards.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful information!

bloodrock,
Thank you for the tip on reducing ring spacing! lightbulb I was really frustrated today going through the same sighting in problem. I over compensated (used 1 3/4" spacing) so I've got to revise my ring spacing again, but like you, I used two sets of .020" inserts and finally saw change in elevation.

I talked to one of the tech guys at Burris today and he told me that two sets of the .020" inserts (in both front and rear rings) should give about 10" +/- at 20 yards, which was not nearly enough elevation change for my TAC 15.

Thanks again for the tip! :)

rmb

Bloodrock and RMB,
Thank you both for your valuable input and all the time spent experimenting and analyzing this problem.

It's because of members like yourselves that we've been able to identify and solve most, if not all of the problems that we've encountered with the TAC15/15i crossbows over the past year. More over, we've saved other owners counters headaches, frustration and money spent through these actions.

That was the good part, now for the bad part. You've also just been identified as subject matter experts, so I hope you don't object to having some of our members refered to you on occasion when they have questions in this area?

For what it's worth, Super 91 and each receive about 2 to 6 questions or inquiries per day, but we've also been the key source for several of these threads, so it shouldn't be more than an occasional question or two.

Russ,
I also have some valuable new information for you on QAD Drop Away Rest Alignment and Broadheads Tuning as it applies to this set up. Let me know when you have time to talk and I'll give you a call and we can cover it.

Thank you both for your hard work and contributions. gun)

Regards,

Jon

jon.henry755,

I'm not an expert, but I'll sure be happy to explain my experiences with the TAC 15 to anyone who wants advice. If it wasn't for folks like yourself and Super 91 and bloodrock and others, I'd still be in the dark!

Thanks,
rmb

Hi Russ,
Isn't it funny how that works? As you keep reading the information we and others publish and you keep talking to people and experimenting yourself, you don't even notice just how much knowledge you've absorbed in a relatively short period of time.

Suddenly you wake up one day and go from one of the guys who was asking a lot of questions, to one of the guys who's now able to answer most of the questions. It's a pleasant, seamless transition, but one that we all go through if we're fortunate. Many of you guys are earning your wings, so to speak and I have no doubt you'll soon be right there with the best of us.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.