Hey from VA

CarRamRod

Hello from south western VA, newbie to guns here. I shot growing up but didn't get into it untill now (I'm just 18 so I've got along way to go). I was looking at getting a pistol because we've got plenty of rifles and shot guns but I went with my dad the other day shooting his pistols and a few rifles and just liked the really long range, aimed, deep breath in half out and squeeze kind of shooting better than fast point and shoot. I was saving for a pistol but now would rather spend it building a rifle. Any advice is much appriciated thanks.

Save your money. A good rifle will cost you plenty. Although you can set up a long range rig in the neighborhood of $500. Once you get started you'll find the real price tag will easily exceed $1000.

In terms of real advice on where you might start, we'll need more info from you.

What do you want to shoot? targets? hunt (and if so, what do you want to hunt?)

Are there caliber's in which you're particularly interested?

Do you want to be able to carry the rifle in the field? or just set it up 'here' and shoot waaaay over 'there'?

This is just a start of a wonderful addiction. Come on in...the water is fine.

It would be nice to take it hunting if I wanted to but that is certainly not a deciding factor in anything. I have a Winchester 30-30 I hunt with now. If I hunt is just for deer. I'd really like to just shoot targets and don't need to carry it pretty much just set it up and ride a four wheeler way over there to set up a target, and shoot.

ok - so you want to build a target type rifle. Keep the info coming....

What's your budget like?

Is there a particular rifle that you like?

What about caliber? do you want a light recoil centerfire 22 or 6mm? medium bore non-magnum (.280rem??), or do you like the magnums?

I like the 308 their fairley common around here with hunters and shooters and gun wise I like the Savage I've herd alot of good things about them and I like the accutrigger they come with.

CarRamRod:
Just realized we've got two threads going. both of which are answering the same types of questions. Your "Barrel Twist?" thread has a lot more detail than is on this thread.

Anyway, your choice of a Savage, with the accutrigger in .308 is a good start. The Savage is inexpensive, accurate and a nice platform from which to start.

The .308 is a good choice in caliber. It's an accurate target round, can easily be used to hunt whitetails here in VA and the ammo is easy to find and it's fairly inexpensive.

Once you purchase your rifle you will be faced with several decisions....

Optics
Bases and rings
(my thoughts on these two options are on your other thread)

Adjust your trigger...this is the beauty of the accutrigger. I understand you can adjust it yourself.

You might want to consider changing the stock that comes with the rifle.

All of these topics are lengthy discussions by themselves.

Savage Arms Package Rifles Model 11FXP3
I like that gun.
Savage Stocks
With thoes first couple types of stocks. The "Sniper" stock.
I'd like an adjustible bipod too, I can get pretty steady resting on my arm but we have a farm thats kind of hilly so I'd have plenty of back stop but to get good ranges I'd almost need to be looking down/across a hill. I think I'd stick with the stock barrel for a while so all I really need after that is a good scope. I think I sort of understand the MOA now but not sure how to find out how much any certain scope has.

That's a nice rifle and a good platform to start with.

In order to determine the total moa adjustment in a scope, check the company's website or call them directly.

In terms of a bi-pod, you will want a Harris Bi-Pod. they come in various sizes, but there are two features you will want...you want one that swivels/tilts and has notched legs.

Also, the Choate stocks are pretty nice. There are a lot of guys that use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.