Help with verifying a member before a purchase

He did send me numerous pics of the scope. Good quality. When I asked if the top turret was marked MK12 Mod1 556 77gr, he responded with an additional picture showing that top turret in focus with everything correct.

So the Paypal transaction seems safe since he's not asking for it as a 'gift'
And the photos look legit

But I do see some grammatical stuff that makes me hesitant.

I will keep this updated. And you guys are awesome for all this help!

You have to decide if this is a risk worth taking for you. Like others noted, I too will pass. I try to only deal with guys vetted through the buyers and sellers feedback forum or they have been a member here for a while.

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy it.

a common scam through paypal is to crate a "random" gmail account with a false name, then create a paypal account using that gmail account--- once you have the paypal account you can link a legitimate bank account-- when the buyer pays, his money will go into the legit bank account within days-- now the "seller" deletes his bank account info and goes on his merry way

buyer never gets his item, so he files a dispute with paypal-- pay pal attempts to go after seller for funds, but seller has already deleted his bank info and has no money/credit left in his fake named paypal account -- at this time it would be up to paypal and the "terms" on weather paypal will shell out money from their own pocket based on the "terms" -- read them carefully, every time I have had to file through paypal--I have gotten my money back --BUT I had to contact the local police, file a written police report, send a copy of it to paypal with pictures and documentation then months later I have gotten my refund--it's a huge hassle

The "lighted sign" in your case seems to be that paypal is converting your us dollars to euros, yet shipping address if from CA-- I had something similar to this happen through ebay on an RV purchase (that I did not go through with) -- the RV was supposedly in CA, there was a legit bank account in CA linked to the paypal account, yet I knew it was a scam as I found identical pics of the exact RV with identical VIN number being sold out of a Florida dealership (seller stole pics from dealers online web site)-- I was able to follow up with the bank a week or so later, and they told me that the account I was acquiring about had been closed a few days back--- these crooks are based overseas and transfer the $ into an international account that is extremely unlikely for anyone to try to recover money from due to international laws

pics can be had fairly easily online, or gotten from someone else who is actually selling online-- --there has been quite a few scams with scopes lately on multiple forums, be careful

Alrighty.... well its not looking good for getting the scope I've been on the hunt for for 2 years. :(

Is there a good place to find this scope other than Calguns, here, or ebay? Kinda hoping for a: "Dude you didn't know about Scopes'R'Us.com??? You've gotta check there!!"....... or something to that effect lol.

From the sounds of it, you still would not have the scope, plus you would be out of your money. Let us know what he says IF he calls your phone number. If the phone # shows up on caller ID, and does not show "Private", I would call him back after he hangs up- See what happens then. If he is legitimate, he should have no problem with you checking him out.
I have heard about prospective buyers having the seller send a picture of the item and their Driver's license in the same photo.

Well I got the guy to call me. The phone call had terrible signal, like physical breaking up of the line, not like poor cell signal. The call location was Atlanta GA (optic is supposedly in southern CA). Heavy accent (definitely foreign...not a good old boy) to the guy, could tell he wanted to get off the phone quickly and while he answered my few questions (like sending me the serial number of the scope), the whole thing felt super sketch.

So I'm pressing the guy on Calguns who referred him to me who also claims he's a member here (Quicksiver338) for more info to verify he's legit. @Quicksilver338 can you chime in?

Looks like you guys were spot on about this and looks to be a scam. :( Really feeling disheartened.....was so excited to finish the rifle I've been gathering parts for for 2 years! Back to square one with the scope it seems.

Here, I just got this. This was in response to my want to buy ad for a neoprene spotting scope cover. Suspect for sure! If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but doubt it!
F94774B9-D2D9-4164-AF3A-A29AEFEC32ED.png
5D0283EF-EC2E-4719-AFE0-B328285E1CDD.png

Last edited:
That's super sketchy all the way through. Go to snipershide, post a WtB ad and you'll find a good one. I've bought ~$30K worth of optics and gear from the hide. They don't play. Standard cautions apply, no 1-post sellers, etc...

He did send the serial number. What can be done with that? Like what do I say when I call Leupold?
caution with serial numbers-- there were "leupold" scopes being sold on ebay a few years back -- they all had the exact same serial number on all of them and were Chinese impostors, yet the serial actually was a legit number from a real leupold scope , so if you called leupold to ask about the serial number--it was legit

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts