Help with verifying a member before a purchase

JM101

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just made an introductory post. I hope this is ok to post here....I looked through the different forum sections and didn't see a better place for this.

I'm looking for an optic and have a lead on someone who may have it. That someone was referred to me by a member (Quicksilver338) here. Also he indicated another member (Hand Skills) had dealings with the lead I was given too. There's a few things about the interaction that have given me a little pause, so before I send someone $ for a scope, I was hoping that some members here could verify this is a legit seller and can put my mind at ease?

Here is the summary of the situation, which is posted on Calguns:

I am looking for a hard to find optic and was contacted by two people about reaching out to this individual: Rob @ [email protected]

Both people were new to Calguns and one was kinda odd and got banned almost immediately.

I reached out to this Rob guy and nothing super weird, just short and sweet messages. Does anyone know this Rob Mason guy? Wanted to check before I sent several hundred dollars via Paypal.

Note: on paypal it was converting dollars to euros which I thought was odd. Says the optic will ship from southern CA. There was no request to send it as a gift which is good because that should enable paypal protection right?

Am I being paranoid? Is this Rob Mason guy well known on the forums/industry?

Does anyone here know this Rob guy and had good dealings with him?
Edit/Delete Message

Sir,

If you have to post on a forum with a suspicion you may have, then the answer is staring you in the face. I would not pursue that deal. Good luck and I hope you don't get burned.

Yeah that's kind of the feeling I'm starting to get. On the other side there is some info, mostly the link to members here, that make me believe I'm overthinking it. For all I know, this Rob guy is THE guy to go to for optics. Just want to be sure. And give the members that I referenced a chance to comment.

Usually a seller will do all business in the open here on this forum. A request to contact to a g-mail address has often been a red flag indicating a scammer. Not always, but often. Many here check how long the seller has been a member, hesitant if quite new. Probably not fair, but cautious. Good luck

Stay away from that one. I've bought several things from people here and never had an issue. Heck I've talked to several over the phone. There is even a few people on here that live close to me. We have become good friend ms and talk often.

This is a scam. Guys will find a WTB ad, and say "I know a guy who has this--reach out to him at [email protected] and you get taken for your money."

Yeah it definitely read like that. But if you're using Paypal and its NOT being sent as a gift/family/friends and is being used for Product/service, then don't you get the buyer's protection from Paypal?

I emailed the seller again and asked to speak on the phone (to try and verify some of this stuff and buy more time to get replies here and on Calguns), and he replied asking for my number so I'll see where that goes...

BTW, I appreciate everyone jumping in on this to advise! I'm not new to online transactions but this optic is so hard to find maybe I let my guard down or I'm being paranoid.

He did send me numerous pics of the scope. Good quality. When I asked if the top turret was marked MK12 Mod1 556 77gr, he responded with an additional picture showing that top turret in focus with everything correct.

So the Paypal transaction seems safe since he's not asking for it as a 'gift'
And the photos look legit

But I do see some grammatical stuff that makes me hesitant.

I will keep this updated. And you guys are awesome for all this help!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts