Help with StrelokPro?

jpfrog

I'm exhausted and about to go to bed before driving up to CO tomorrow.

I have finally worked up a load for my 280 Sherman pushing a 143HH at about 3013fps...in Dallas. I'm going to be shooting at about 7k elevation this week, and I cannot for the life of me find the elevation input on StrelokPro so I can use that as a starting point when I get out there.

anyone have any idea how to switch between elevations?

or, anyone able to provide what my target adjustments should be from 100-700 or so in 50 yard increments at that elevation? I feel like an idiot right now but going to blame it on being tired.

Click on the weather tab, then adjust accordingly. If you know the temp, humidity, pressure alt put it in or if you know the DA just put that in.
EDF459C2-5A19-47D6-B0DE-BD79C996A135.jpeg
1D44521A-CAEE-464C-A969-89D513923F86.png

Thank you both for helping a near sea level lifer figure this altitude stuff out!
What you were looking for (and not finding) was a simple input field for elevation.

However, elevation/altitude data is a means to an end—ultimately the computer needs to know the "density altitude", which is a combination of the other metrics that ARE input fields (temp, humidity, station pressure).

As stated above, station pressure reduces with altitude—0.01" mercury loss per 10 ft elevation, which translates to -1.0 inHg for every 1,000 ASL. (Hence subtract 7.0 inHg at 7000' ASL vs. sea level)

One more caveat—most weather reports will report pressure as "barometric pressure" which incorporates an adjustment to enable comparisons to sea level readings. We are looking for "station pressure", which is a non-corrected number.

Last edited:
What you were looking for (and not finding) was a simple input field for elevation.

However, elevation/altitude data is a means to an end—ultimately the computer needs to know the "density altitude", which is a combination of the other metrics that ARE input fields (temp, humidity, station pressure).

As stated above, station pressure reduces with altitude—0.01" mercury loss per 10 ft elevation, which translates to -1.0 inHg for every 1,000 ASL. (Hence subtract 7.0 inHg at 7000' ASL vs. sea level)

One more caveat—most weather reports will report pressure as "barometric pressure" which incorporates an adjustment to enable comparisons to sea level readings. We are looking for "station pressure", which is a non-corrected number.
I'm going to need some better gauges to get all of these readings! Thank you for the info- I am fairly decent at shooting where I live, but these mountains are something else entirely and I have a lot of learning to do

I'm going to need some better gauges to get all of these readings!
A simple Kestral Drop D3 will give you air pressure, temp, humidity, and density altitude. Just clip it to your bag, open the app, and the info is supplied via Bluetooth. Pack an extra battery.

I'm going to need some better gauges to get all of these readings! Thank you for the info- I am fairly decent at shooting where I live, but these mountains are something else entirely and I have a lot of learning to do
Close enough is ok in this case
(a rarity in our sport!). I will sometimes just use a weather report for a nearby town and then correct the barometric pressure to station pressure based on altitude, if actual density altitude isn't available (DA is most commonly found on pilot-related websites).

Even exact altitude isn't terribly critical. For example, using the above method with readily available metrics online for a nearby town and some estimation, Strelok variation at 1710 yards was only 0.1 mil in elevation off from actual data collected on-site. Wind reading was a significantly larger factor!

YMMV, but for 600 yards and in I wouldn't be terribly concerned if you don't have a weather meter on hand.

Click on the weather tab, then adjust accordingly. If you know the temp, humidity, pressure alt put it in or if you know the DA just put that in. View attachment 282914View attachment 282915
Notice the bottom screen in the attachment, you have an input for temp, humidity % and a use internal barometer button. I input temp and humidity from local station or Kestrel Drop. My IPhone internal barometer is what I use for pressure or input Kestrel Drop pressure then I let Strelok use those inputs to develop density alt automatically. Of course to use all those inputs you need to turn off the Use Density Altitude button.

Great. Thought is should. Have a great day.
No problem- I didn't even realize I was the one that started this thread last year, haha. One thing I learned, is that the Drop battery doesn't last long if you just leave it in and let it run. Mine may have been low already going into my hunt, as I got it a few months before and kept playing with it, but it got dangerously low (under 5%) toward the end of my hunt without my realizing it. I had a spare, and swapped it out, but if I hadn't I'm not sure it would have made it the last day. One tip- when you aren't using the drop, like when you're at home, just pop the battery out. Also, turn off bluetooth when you're out in the field to save your phone and drop batteries. If they're connected, the drop will continue to update your phone, and if they're not, your phone will continue to look for the drop...both activities waste battery. You can pair them as you need every hour or so, or if you notice a change in conditions.