Help with stiffening a stock

In my original post I stated I use an 85% hollow glass micro spheres from Aircraft Spruce to 15 % epoxy to blend into epoxy foam. It's very light and strong. Chuck
So you make your own "foam" mix, then.

There are epoxy foams sold thru AS, which made that a bit confusing.

I have/had a Ruger American Predator that had this issue when I got it year ago. The stock was touching on left side. But I discovered it had cross threaded action screws from the factory n sent it back. It got a new stock, action screws and some slickening of the bolt.
The new stock touched on that side too! But it still shot! I sanded a lil extra clearance and shot it for hundreds of rounds. Fun gun, shot everything well. Stupid easy for making new loads.
Then in august the bolt started rotating too far when cycled and slamming the action so it went back again. (Bolt stop not engaging enough somehow) They are replacing the gun this time. Hopefully any day! So we will see what the new one looks like .

Get a new stock. The typical cookie cutter factory stocks are not worth all the time and effort for a little improvement. There are numerous affordable stocks out there that offer great improvements.
I prefer my manners over oem but you can still make an accurate shooting oem rifle with a little reinforcement. Stuff the butt of the stock with insulation and pour in a bit of epoxy. That helps also

So you make your own "foam" mix, then.

There are epoxy foams sold thru AS, which made that a bit confusing.
Yes, I blend my own. The glass hollow micro spheres are cheap and no shelf life like epoxy or epoxy foams. I buy epoxy as needed. Sorry about the confusion. I should have worded it better. You can change blend ratios to suit the situation. Caution when you order, they have solid micro spheres also. They are heavy. Chuck

Kinda funny I remember searching this same exact topic probably 4 years ago and everybody said dont try it, it's a waste of time, not worth the trouble, throw it away and buy "(insert favorite more expensive stock)"
Glad to see the opinions have changed.

Yes, I blend my own. The glass hollow micro spheres are cheap and no shelf life like epoxy or epoxy foams. I buy epoxy as needed. Sorry about the confusion. I should have worded it better. You can change blend ratios to suit the situation. Caution when you order, they have solid micro spheres also. They are heavy. Chuck

The micro spheres/balloons really do work well. It is NOT a foam or anything like even the expanding foams. This is where I got mine years ago. It simply makes a lighter weight/less dense epoxy fill. I would't use it anywhere really structural but for fairing/filling it would be great.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...eoCfnXP-bwcdFK4J1swM7D6hl_sLBXQEaAoOhEALw_wcB

I have read and used carbon arrows to stiffen a forend. I used a dremel with a coarse carbide cutter to make the necessary channels, reinstalled the action and make shims for either side to keep the channel centered to the barrel, removed the action, mix my epoxy, wet coat the interior of the forend, lay the arrows back in the channel, pour in the epoxy and reinstall the action with the appropriate shims in the correct locations. Wait 24hrs to cure, clean up any mess.

Be careful, it's a sprint not a dash, a little goes a long way, patience pays dividends, you can do this in multiple steps, epoxy can be recoated within a given time frame, most epoxies only need about 12hrs to set and can be recoated within 24hrs, that is the beauty of epoxy resins. Polyester resins not so much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.