Help with selecting bench top lathe and vertical mill

Look at used. Spend the money to take a machine rebuilder along. Maybe $75 an hour.
can tell you what is wrong. What can be fixed. And what can't.
cheap insurance.
I got a Graziano. Most folks never heard of them. Dual ways. Top for tailstock and covered ways kept clean. 4 HP. 13x36......2400 lbs I think. 2000 rpm.
spent $5000 20 years ago. Worth it. Now owned by Deckel.......

most don't need that much.
a lighter lathe can be stiffened.
rockwell makes a down sized Bridgeport takes up less room and used R8 collets. Watch out for mills that don't use them. You can pay $100 each for collets ...if you can find them.
So you don't know all the machines out there.......lathes.uk. Spend an enjoyable afternoon and evening reading.
PracticalMachinist is a great forum. A pro forum. If you bring up Chinese machines the thread will be locked.
but they will answer real questions. These guys have made everything in the world God didnt.
Saw a thread where a guy trepanned a hole 50' deep....13" in diameter
Place always amazes me. Another was getting a 25' Blanchard grinder
Keep asking questions!!!!!!!!!
You know you are a machinist when you know 10% of what you THOUGHT you knew 10 years ago

Last edited:
I'm also looking for a lathe and mill. I was initially looking at a Grizzly or a Precision Mathews lathe. Now I'm also looking at a Kent which supposed to be a better machine at about the same price. I'm looking for a 14x40 which seems to be about the right size considering capability and weight. As far as a mill, I can't find a machine under $9000. Also, I've been told to stay away from Chinese machines,. Taiwanese quality is much better

I'm also looking for a lathe and mill. I was initially looking at a Grizzly or a Precision Mathews lathe. Now I'm also looking at a Kent which supposed to be a better machine at about the same price. I'm looking for a 14x40 which seems to be about the right size considering capability and weight. As far as a mill, I can't find a machine under $9000. Also, I've been told to stay away from Chinese machines,. Taiwanese quality is much better

A milling machine will be used a lot less than the Lathe so I would put my money in a good lathe and keep them separate. look for a bench top Mill that will do anything you want it to as long as it is not to cheep.

Something along these line or better depending on your budget. It will do everything you want to and more. Of Corse, everyone wants a Bridgeport, but for normal use the bench Mill will handle the work for less money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000051WSL/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

If you ever want to re-barrel a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 or Classic,, or a 03 or 03/A3, a mill or milling attachment will be required so you can make the extractor cut. I have never used a milling attachment on a lathe, so I don't know how good or bad that might be. A milling machine of whatever sort is your "tool maker". So many tools won't be able to be made without one.

Last edited:
A milling machine will be used a lot less than the Lathe so I would put my money in a good lathe and keep them separate. look for a bench top Mill that will do anything you want it to as long as it is not to cheep.

Something along these line or better depending on your budget. It will do everything you want to and more. Of Corse, everyone wants a Bridgeport, but for normal use the bench Mill will handle the work for less money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000051WSL/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM
I have looked at the milling/drilling machines as a lower cost option. I have read your posts and I pretty much agree with them. Could I send you my personal email so I can possibly talk to you on the phone so I get your advice on machines and tooling?

I use my benchtop LMS mill waaay more than my Tree knee mill.
When you need to hog steel, you need the rigidity of a full-size mill. But there's no typical applications in gunsmithing requiring that- other than fabbing your own tooling.

These are really solid machines. I have a smaller one (before they introduced this one), no complaints after eight years.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and the OP for starting it.
In the 80's I was in welding 2 as a freshman thanks to a Grand dads teaching.
I had to change high schools and was a teachers aid in welding for two periods a day at the new school, the teacher started teaching me basic machining and casting.
I've wanted a lathe of my own since then.
This has been a helpful read

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and the OP for starting it.
In the 80's I was in welding 2 as a freshman thanks to a Grand dads teaching.
I had to change high schools and was a teachers aid in welding for two periods a day at the new school, the teacher started teaching me basic machining and casting.
I've wanted a lathe of my own since then.
This has been a helpful read
I doubt those skills are taught anymore in high schools, same for music and art. We only had wood shop and auto mechanics (81'-84'), unfortunately not metal shop, but I got the opportunity to use several tools. So many students could benefit from CNC or CAD training.
Life skills!

I have doing some research on lathes and mills. I've also talked to many people and I've heard many opinions. First, milling/drilling machines are not good for accurate work. I like the vertical movement of a knee mill, but a bench mill is half as much, so I'm torn between the two because I don't have an unlimited budget, but than I've spent more than $35,000 on my shop so, what's $20,000 more for good machinery. I still don't know. As far as the lathe, I still haven't made up my mind. I like the prices of the Precision Mathews and the Grizzly, but I keep hearing the Chinese machines leave much to be desired. I've been looking at the Kent some others. If any one out there has good results with machinery, please let us know.

I have doing some research on lathes and mills. I've also talked to many people and I've heard many opinions. First, milling/drilling machines are not good for accurate work. I like the vertical movement of a knee mill, but a bench mill is half as much, so I'm torn between the two because I don't have an unlimited budget, but than I've spent more than $35,000 on my shop so, what's $20,000 more for good machinery. I still don't know. As far as the lathe, I still haven't made up my mind. I like the prices of the Precision Mathews and the Grizzly, but I keep hearing the Chinese machines leave much to be desired. I've been looking at the Kent some others. If any one out there has good results with machinery, please let us know.
Many are made in taiwan and work great. Coming from someone who has one, uses it daily and built accurate rifles. Also, knowing many smiths much more experienced than me that use taiwanese lathes with great success. Gordy gritters sound familiar :)

If you buy a lathe........drain the oil.......refill and run slow for 1/4-1/2 an hour.
drain and put thru a coffee filter.
look at what is in there...........it will tell a story.

If you buy a lathe........drain the oil.......refill and run slow for 1/4-1/2 an hour.
drain and put thru a coffee filter.
look at what is in there...........it will tell a story.
Are you talking about Chinese or Taiwanese lathes? All my research shows Taiwanese lathes are much better.

Are you talking about Chinese or Taiwanese lathes? All my research shows Taiwanese lathes are much better.
They are by far.......insurance is the reason. On a Hardinge Or Graziano......I probably wouldn't do it.
but I would do it on ANY used lathe......
I'm old school. Good iron lasts. The W&S 2A I run is a 1966 model. Only the cross slide has been rescraped......still can go wrong o 1/2 a thousandth.......and do 3/8 DOC all day long. As it has for two shifts a day for years. Yes.....we are kind to it.
but if you have to drill a 3" hole in 410 stainless in one shot......she's got the biscuits.
Insurance.....

They are by far.......insurance is the reason. On a Hardinge Or Graziano......I probably wouldn't do it.
but I would do it on ANY used lathe......
I'm old school. Good iron lasts. The W&S 2A I run is a 1966 model. Only the cross slide has been rescraped......still can go wrong o 1/2 a thousandth.......and do 3/8 DOC all day long. As it has for two shifts a day for years. Yes.....we are kind to it.
but if you have to drill a 3" hole in 410 stainless in one shot......she's got the biscuits.
Insurance.....
You sound like you know what you are talking about. So you were buying today and have to buy new, what would suggest for a lathe and a knee or bench mill?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.