HELP WITH SATERLEE VELOCITY TEST

Finding the proper seating depth using minimum charge like Berger describes in there evaluation makes more sense to me thing anything. Not knocking any other way, but there's no short cuts in this game. When I find a seating depth with accuracy potential the fun is just getting started. JMO

Finding the proper seating depth using minimum charge like Berger describes in there evaluation makes more sense to me thing anything. Not knocking any other way, but there's no short cuts in this game. When I find a seating depth with accuracy potential the fun is just getting started. JMO
I guess I need to read some more now...thanks

On bullets I have never tried I start at 15 off. I shoot alot of the same bullets in compatition so I usually have an idea where to start. If a particular bullet likes 25 off most often then I will start there. In my short range comp guns I start at 15 jammed. But I know my cartridges pretty good because I've shot them for yrs. But for an unknown I would look up info and see where others have had success and start there. If I can't find anything on it I would do 15 off for sure.
Most stuff will shoot between 10 and 25 off no problem.
Shep

On bullets I have never tried I start at 15 off. I shoot alot of the same bullets in compatition so I usually have an idea where to start. If a particular bullet likes 25 off most often then I will start there. In my short range comp guns I start at 15 jammed. But I know my cartridges pretty good because I've shot them for yrs. But for an unknown I would look up info and see where others have had success and start there. If I can't find anything on it I would do 15 off for sure.
Most stuff will shoot between 10 and 25 off no problem.
Shep
Thank you! I have learned so much these last 4 weeks

Remember there are alot of ways to get a load figured out. The way I do it was not written in a specific order some where or written as a complete do it this way. I do a combination of things that just seemed to give me positive results. It works for me. Maybe it only works for me because of how I interpret the info I get. If you interpret the info different it will lead you on a different path. All the paths pretty much end up in the same place. Like at the beginning of this thread I chose a node that nobody else did. Was it the correct one. I don't know. But thats what I mean about interpretation of the data. After you do it a billion times the data gets easier to read. Just like I know I will always drop the bottom half of a node because my loads never ended up there. Ever. Just saved a bunch of time by elimination of loads I know won't work. I know I sound redundant but I really do just keep it simple.
Shep

Remember there are alot of ways to get a load figured out. The way I do it was not written in a specific order some where or written as a complete do it this way. I do a combination of things that just seemed to give me positive results. It works for me. Maybe it only works for me because of how I interpret the info I get. If you interpret the info different it will lead you on a different path. All the paths pretty much end up in the same place. Like at the beginning of this thread I chose a node that nobody else did. Was it the correct one. I don't know. But thats what I mean about interpretation of the data. After you do it a billion times the data gets easier to read. Just like I know I will always drop the bottom half of a node because my loads never ended up there. Ever. Just saved a bunch of time by elimination of loads I know won't work. I know I sound redundant but I really do just keep it simple.
Shep

I am not now nor I will ever be a competitive shooter. I am working my way towards the 500 yard for hunting. I have successfully taken animals up to 300 yards. Never tried shooting an animal further than that yet and I never had to so far.
Pretty much, for the most I shoot traditional calibers. I start be talking to people. Then do the "m" word. I model to get an idea, then shoot with a chrono. Looking for MV and POI. Calibrate my model with fired case capacities, and temperature for my rifle, load 3-5 round loads, 0.2 increments above and below where my TEST SHOOTING and modeling suggest I could be.
I know many people don't like to hear the word model, but for my hunting rifles it works, as long as you understand the limitations.
The new thing I learn is I can improve now with seating depth. My good old 30-06 with Nosler likes 0.010 off the lands.
I am always willing to listen and try, if it makes engineering sense.
I love listening to you you guys who shoot a lot at long range.
Thanks

Most of the deer I kill I could take care of with a 30-30 with open sights. Just because I hunt big bucks and where I live that means going into the swamps and grapevine thickets. But if I was going to hunt long range I would do everything I do for long range compatition. The objective is the same make hits on the target or animal. The more accurate your combo the higher probability of a hit. So even if you never shoot competitive ever you should look at how the long range target shooters are getting the accuracy they get. If you really want to have fun go to a range with lots of steel to shoot at. Take lots of ammo because it's addictive. Then you will find out what your real effective range is with your combo. You say 500 but I think you will see out to about 700 hits are pretty easy with basic wind calling. Once you get past 700 things get harder real fast. I personally like shooting steel better than hunting but back strap in much more tender than ar500.
Shep

Just to follow up. I used the Satterlee method this week on a 6.5 Creed, 1:8 twist with a Rock Creek cut rifled barrel, shooting the 123 SMK, in a SAMMI spec chamber. I've never shot this bullet before in any of my 6.5s. Started at 40 thou off because that seemed like that was the longest I could load it without running out of bullet in the neck of the case. 3 thou neck tension. H4350. Alpha brass. Shot ladders over my Magnetospeed. Found loads at 41.4, 42.4, and 43gr. For a couple long winded reasons I won't get into, I had to violate some major "Harmonic" principles and had to switch stocks, and took off my suppressor prior to shooting confirmatory loads. I shot those loads today and shot a confirmatory Audette ladder over a buddies Target cam at 500. Nodes were the same. All shot 1/3 MOA at 100, 300, 500. 41.4gr will likely shoot in the .2s. I was a little shaky and there was a moderate amount of mirage.

Just to follow up. I used the Satterlee method this week on a 6.5 Creed, 1:8 twist with a Rock Creek cut rifled barrel, shooting the 123 SMK, in a SAMMI spec chamber. I've never shot this bullet before in any of my 6.5s. Started at 40 thou off because that seemed like that was the longest I could load it without running out of bullet in the neck of the case. 3 thou neck tension. H4350. Alpha brass. Shot ladders over my Magnetospeed. Found loads at 41.4, 42.4, and 43gr. For a couple long winded reasons I won't get into, I had to violate some major "Harmonic" principles and had to switch stocks, and took off my suppressor prior to shooting confirmatory loads. I shot those loads today and shot a confirmatory Audette ladder over a buddies Target cam at 500. Nodes were the same. All shot 1/3 MOA at 100, 300, 500. 41.4gr will likely shoot in the .2s. I was a little shaky and there was a moderate amount of mirage.

Thanks for sharing! I too think you can work either way.

Shep
25WSM, nice call on the node you suggested.
I have a new barrel at Nate's shop waiting for one of his Beast brakes.
With him being slammed, I was trying to get this old, shot out barrel to get through one more hunting season.
I originally was shooting Berger Hybrid 140s, but the throat eroded far enough that I could no longer chase the lands and the Bergers wouldn't shoot to my liking.
That's why I switched to the Scenars. I had them on the shelf and their ogive would reach the lands on this barrel.
This load will be fine for what I need it for.
It has been enjoyable reading all the discussions!
Randy

Final follow up. Like @25WSM said, do what the rifle tells you and what works for you in a methodical way. Satterlee method works for some people. Fortunately, I'm one of them. This is the result of the load I just developed using it for the 6.5 Creed I mentioned in my last post. 1" and 1.28" at 525, shot back to back. I know they're only 3 shot groups but the ES from the velocity data for 7 rounds over 41.2-4.16gr was 15. So I suspect that it'll be around that, and maybe a little better.

Attachments

• 25F10A0D-09C0-40B9-B42A-F11D16C76353.png
    25F10A0D-09C0-40B9-B42A-F11D16C76353.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • 67CB23FD-BA3D-40B6-9A78-C8D9BC57987E.png
    67CB23FD-BA3D-40B6-9A78-C8D9BC57987E.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 80