Help with my 300 win mag build

jpfrog

Hi all- I've only recently found this site and I have to say, I'm amazed at the quality and quantity of info on here! Thanks to all that contribute!

On to my question...

I'm building my first LR rifle- a Rem 700 in 300 win mag. I ordered a Krieger #6 Heavy Bull Sporter with a 1 in 10 twist, getting a timney trigger, and having my smith blueprint the action and handle the headspacing and barrel work. I also plan to get a stock w/ full length aluminum bedding, then have it glass bedded for extra insurance. My question is around the stock- I like the subtle look of the hunter style, since I'll be using it mostly for hunting and don't want a rifle that screams "High $$ spent on this so I think I'm awesome" when I go to the range. I like to lay low, and let the groupings speak for me, once I've practiced enough to let them speak positively that is. I'm not saying that a tactical stock makes all people seem that way, but there are a couple of folks at the range I go to who have a reputation, and long story short, I simply like the subtleness and feel of the hunter style stock.

I really like the look and price of the B&C Medalist in Tan w/ Black Web. The weight is appealing too- 30-34 ounces sounds about as light as I can get. I don't know if this stock will work with my barrel though- a dealer on another site says yes, but when I called B&C they said I need a varmit style stock (but the person I spoke with sounded VERY unsure of what she was saying). B&C is available at Cabelas, though I'd have to have it special ordered- but I can use my gift cards there, which saves my cash for buying good optics somewhere else...and I need all the cash I can get for optics.

Anyone have experience with B&C, or other stocks, and the #6 Krieger Heavy Bull Sporter? Am I over thinking this and should just get it, then let my smith find a way to make it fit? He's an excellent smith- I know he could do it, but I like to over-analyze every component before I buy it....thanks in advance for your help.

jpfrog,
I am a fan of the HS Precision stocks w/ aluminum bedding blocks.
Try and find a used one for around $200-250, then have your smith skim coat bed your action with Devcon. The barrel contour you are looking at would only require minor fitting for a standard HS stock, but you could also look for a HS stock with the Sendero contour barrel channel. There will ,however, be a slightly bigger gap for barrel fit, but not really even noticeable.
This is exactly what I did for my 300WM. I went with a #4 contour, 24" barrel, 2.5-10 x32mm NXS and have no problem being MOA accurate to 800yards with it.
Can't help you on the B&C stock, but the HS stock is well proven in my opinion for being capable for a LR rig. There are alot of 338 EDGE rifles built on them as well.

Thanks for the help trueblue. I also recently heard about the M40 version of the B&C Medalist, which fits sendero contours a little better than the standard medalist- I may look into that as well.

HS are great- they're just a little more than I can afford right now and I need to save most of my cash for optics. Cabela's is doing some research for me on the B&C stocks and whether or not they can special order them- if so, I'm good to go and will use those gift cards. If not, I may have to rethink my optics options (they do carry the Leupold Mark 4, so I could use certificates for that and buy another stock online somewhere else).

The problem with this build is that I'm noticing a lot of really great options for SA builds out there and fewer options for LA builds.....looks like the bug is already biting me and I'm probably going to end up building an SA gun once I've finished this 300 win mag and had my money's worth of fun out of it. :)

I purchased a B&C Medalist for my .308 build. The rifle has an ER Shaw #3 (equal to #5 Krieger) contour barrel. My smith did have to open the channel alot, then he bedded the recoil lug. I love the fit of it, plus it kept me a little lighter than a varmint stock.

I opened my channel up enough so the stock will not touch the barrel with a bipod on it. I have tested the float with my bipod on, no flex noticed at all. The palm swell is a bit fatter than a stock Remington sporter, me having larger hands preferred this.

Last edited:
I own a B&C medalist A2. It shoots and handles well. The forend is very stiff and has plenty of room under the barrel. Sounds like the M40 would be the way to go. If you can get it, I would go that route.

Tank

Thanks, all, for the replies. This forum is my new second home! I have a similar question posted on two other forums...posted them 2 full days before coming here, and there is still not a single response to my questions on those forums. This site is awesome- thanks for all of the info!

I went with the M40 Medalist in Tan w/ Black Webbing from B&C. Should be here next week, although it doesn't really matter since the barrel I ordered won't be here until July 1. Oh well, quality is worth the wait.

I have now vastly exceeded what I thought my budget was going to be (once you factor in the smith costs to true and bed the action, headspace and float the barrel, etc.) so I decided to cash in some Bass Pro gift cards that I had lying around and pick up a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44SF with the Nikoplex reticle- it's not what I want (Nightforce), but it'll do for now until I can get better at shooting and save some $$ for a really good optic. Plus, I'm going to get some custom turrets made from Kenton to help make it a little more kick-***.

So, to summarize, here's what's going into this 300 win mag build:

-Brand new Rem 700 action from an ADL in 7mm mag
-26" Krieger #6 Heavy Bull Sporter contour barrel
-Bell and Carlson M40 Medalist stock in tan w/ black webbing
-Timney trigger w/ safety
-Detatchable mag (3 rounds) from a factory 700 PSS
-Nikon Monarch 5-20x44SF Nikoplex with Kenton custom turrets
-Harris bipod (probably 6-9" pivoting)
-Base and rings TBD

I can't wait until that barrel gets here so I can take it all to my smith and start having some fun!

PS- all of the parts from the donor (7mm mag ADL stock, barrel, xpro trigger w/safety, trigger guard, and internal magazine metal) are useless to me so I need to get rid of them. Some of the online sites seem to be flooded with these things- anyone know the best place to sell them? I'm obviously not looking to recoup much $$, but some would be nice since I do still have to buy some reloading supplies for this new build.

Last edited:
Comments in bold

Tank
I have now vastly exceeded what I thought my budget was going to be (once you factor in the smith costs to true and bed the action, headspace and float the barrel, etc.) :D Get use to it, I had to. It is even harder when you have to explain to the wife why your budget is more than what you wanted to actually spend.:rolleyes:

So, to summarize, here's what's going into this 300 win mag build:

-Brand new Rem 700 action from an ADL in 7mm mag
-26" Krieger #6 Heavy Bull Sporter contour barrel
-Bell and Carlson M40 Medalist stock in tan w/ black webbing
-Timney trigger w/ safety
-Detatchable mag (3 rounds) from a factory 700 PSS
-Nikon Monarch 5-20x44SF Nikoplex with Kenton custom turrets
-Harris bipod (probably 6-9" pivoting)
-Base and rings TBD

Sounds like a good set up. Can't wait to see the picks in July!:D

PS- all of the parts from the donor (7mm mag ADL stock, barrel, xpro trigger w/safety, trigger guard, and internal magazine metal) are useless to me so I need to get rid of them. Some of the online sites seem to be flooded with these things- anyone know the best place to sell them? I'm obviously not looking to recoup much $$, but some would be nice since I do still have to buy some reloading supplies for this new build.

You'll have to just post them in the classifieds section of the site. You never know when someone may want to redo an original build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.