Considering my next Mcgowen for my 300 win mag tactical build. Have ?'s

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Southernfryedyankee, May 26, 2009.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Well-Known Member

What length barrel and OD muzzle .920 or 1"
    I am thinking a 26" 1-11 twist (for 190 gr Sierra match kings)

I know it will be heavy but won't the heavier barrel help with vibration and thus increase accuracy. I am used to shooting a 7mag with a sporter barrel so I would imagine the recoil would be more relaxed with a heavier barrel. Any opinions on this statement

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Dont know what you want to do with your rifle but I allmost have all the parts for mine.

I am building a 300 win mag with a 28" barrel 1-10 twist .750 at the muzzle I would rather have the the few extra FPS out of the 28 versus the 26.

I dont know how heavy it will be the military M40 and M24 have muzzle diamiters around .900. If you where using it as a hunting rifle I would stay below this. The weight will help with the recoil but so will a muzzle brake.

3. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Well-Known Member

How much FPS theoretically will you gain from the extra 2"

My rifle will not be for hunting

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

TO be honest I dont know I have heard for every inch you lose 100 fps to a point plus or minus.

I like the look of a long barrel as well and 28" for a win mag or a rum chambering does not seam to be uncomon on here. I think 26" is the norm for a 300 win mag in a factory rifle.

I have one rifle on the way in 260 rem thats not for hunting but I wanted to be able to fire the rifle prone, standing and kneeling as well as over barriers. I went .875 at the muzzle on that for versitilty.